Home » Support » 3D Design » The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4112] Tue, 28 April 2009 05:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oracle of Wuffing  is currently offline Oracle of Wuffing
Go to my shop
It appears that we've got quite the running theme going on in this forum... Razz

I, uh, don't really know what to say, as I've been here before. I mean, I'm Importing it into Blender, and I'm able to do the non-manifold check from there, but after I've got that selected, whether I try to fill or delete things from there, it just seems like I'm doing things wrong. I'm certain the scale isn't how I want it, but that's because that's the last thing I adjust, after everything's manifold and ready for uploading.

I have a number of older models that I'd like to try uploading, but they essentially get the same issue, so if you'd like to talk about the process, I'd really appreciate it so I wouldn't have to ask for help every time I have something new.

Thanks in advance.

Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4113 is a reply to message #4112 ] Tue, 28 April 2009 05:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jdavidbush  is currently offline jdavidbush
Go to all my models
Hi Oracle,

Cute model!

Are you having trouble identifying the non-manifold edges/faces of your model or just having trouble correcting them in Blender?

I don't have much experience with Blender, so I can't help you there.

However, if you're just troubleshooting the problems, you might have some success using MeshLab.

The first thing I noticed after loading the file was dark faces caused by a "dent" on the inside of the vase. That indicates that the "inner" surface is pushed out past the "outer" surface and will probably result in a reversed normals error later on.

The second thing I noticed, after running "Colorize->Color non Manifold Faces", is that there are some non-manifold errors occurring in the flowers.

Hope that helps,
~David
Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4157 is a reply to message #4113 ] Wed, 29 April 2009 09:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
HI Oracle of Wuffing Cool

I took a look at your model...It had a lot of inverted normals, bad edges, noise shells etc in it...So i fixed it for you Nod

I uploaded and testet it for you. And now it works fine Very Happy

Have fun with it!

Cheers,

Ralph

• Attachment: vasefinal.stl
    (Size: 15.24MB, Downloaded 134 time(s))

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4286 is a reply to message #4157 ] Wed, 06 May 2009 21:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the advice and help, jdavidbush and Ralph... The school year's just rounding off, so I'm sorry I'm a bit late in saying so. I'll be resizing and uploading it shortly. Smile

In the meantime, I'll be looking at Meshlab and then working on this model, it was pretty much the "capstone" for my classwork, so it would be kinda neat if I could get this printed out, but I'm pretty much certain it has the same issues as the flower model. Everything else will be a whole lot simpler.

Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4294 is a reply to message #4286 ] Thu, 07 May 2009 08:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Oracle of Wuffing

would you please be so kind to upload it in a stl format Embarassed then i will take a look at it for you

Thanks a lot

Cheers,

Ralph

Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4303 is a reply to message #4294 ] Thu, 07 May 2009 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here you go. I appreciate the help. I had it in an stl format because I was giving Materialize's Autofix process a try, but they said it couldn't be fixed automatically, so it looks like it needs some hands-on love.

• Attachment: robot.stl
    (Size: 34.73MB, Downloaded 227 time(s))

Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4373 is a reply to message #4303 ] Tue, 12 May 2009 09:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Oracle of Wuffing,

i didn't forget you Wink
I am getting my new licence for Magics this week, so i am a bit stuck fixing models Wink

As soon as i am " fully functional" again, i will help you out!

Cheers,

Ralph

Re: The Return of Non-Manifold Model Issues [message #4473 is a reply to message #4373 ] Sun, 17 May 2009 23:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
No worries, Ralph. I've been caught up in getting things moved home for Summer Break, so I've been less than "fully functional" as well.

Previous Topic:Another inverted normal question
Next Topic:inverted normals in rhino

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.