Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Gold plating silver printed parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Gold plating silver printed parts [message #44471] Sat, 25 February 2012 15:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar bradykineticcuriosities  is currently offline bradykineticcuriosities
Go to my shop
Another question for the 3D printing pros - I've done silver and gold plating of machined parts before, but was looking into a gold plating of a part printed from silver. Does anyone have any information?

Knowing the alloy would make for a good start...

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: Gold plating silver printed parts [message #44479 is a reply to message #44471 ] Sat, 25 February 2012 21:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The alloy is standard sterling silver unless they added any other metals not mentioned in the data sheet

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2012 21:08 UTC]

Re: Gold plating silver printed parts [message #44777 is a reply to message #44471 ] Fri, 02 March 2012 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
It's Sterling, but why would you want to plate a precious metal with another?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Gold plating silver printed parts [message #44809 is a reply to message #44777 ] Fri, 02 March 2012 21:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bradykineticcuriosities  is currently offline bradykineticcuriosities
Go to my shop
It may seem odd to plate gold over sterling silver, but I need to gold plate a model that is both highly detailed and strong. Sterling seems to fit the bill.

www.bradykineticcuriosities.com A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Re: Gold plating silver printed parts [message #44811 is a reply to message #44809 ] Fri, 02 March 2012 23:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
Not od at all. Silver gilt has a long and honourable history.

Bill Bedford
Re: Gold plating silver printed parts [message #60867 is a reply to message #44471 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 23:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Sorry to bump this thread but can you explain the process to do this? And can you plate only certain sections of a silver piece, leaving the rest as silver?

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign

Previous Topic:Powder in my ears... literally!
Next Topic:Dying Frosted Detail and/or FUD