Home » Community » General Discussion » Shapeways materials for antenna substrate
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44080] Wed, 15 February 2012 13:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar mayur.sarode  is currently offline mayur.sarode
Go to all my models
Hello all,
I want to create a printed antenna on a suitable shapeway substrate. Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to create a radiating antenna on the materials provided by shapeway?

Thanks.
Mayur
Re: Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44081 is a reply to message #44080 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 13:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Mayur,

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

I haven't a clue about the workings of an antenna, so I'm not sure if the materials would be able to act as an antenna, but if it is the base shape you're needing for doing post production work on to make a functioning antenna then, yes, just about anything you can imagine can be printed.

Paul
Re: Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44090 is a reply to message #44081 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 15:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the mail. Actually , i want to use the shapeway material as the substrate (base) on which i would like to print or stick an antenna which would be a thin Cu strip. I would like to know some physical properties like the dielectric wrt frequency, loss tangent.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/nanoparticle-inks-print-3 d-antennas-orders-of-magnitude-better/
Re: Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44096 is a reply to message #44090 ] Wed, 15 February 2012 17:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
An example: the technical name for WSF is Nylon 12.

If you look that up on the web, you will find:
http://www.goodfellow.com/A/Polyamide-Nylon-12.html

But, this doesn't give you the dielectric constant at different frequency settings. It may be available somewhere.. you'd just have to research it deeper.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44280 is a reply to message #44096 ] Tue, 21 February 2012 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tamert  is currently offline Tamert
Go to all my models
I have characterized all of the materials provided from shapeways and they are all very lossy with a loss tangent of at least 0.05 at 1 GHz. The white, strong, and flexible is particularly bad because of its extreme porosity. Depending on humidity its dielectric loss tangent varies from at a minimum (after desiccating the sample for 72 hours) of 0.07 up to 0.2 after sitting out in an ambient relative humidity of 35% for 24 hours.

If you do move forward with your idea don't forget that most cyanoacrylate based adhesives are stupidly lossy in the RF-microwave bands. Make sure you choose an rf grade adhesive.
Re: Shapeways materials for antenna substrate [message #44304 is a reply to message #44280 ] Wed, 22 February 2012 08:43 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Hello all,
Thanks for sharing the valuable information. I will be testing a micorstrip antenna on WSF antenna soon. Will share my results!
@Tamert What do you mean by RF grade adhesive?

Previous Topic:Has Shapeways changed shipping to a slower option ?
Next Topic:Image Popper Creator! Thoughts? Feedback? Ideas?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.