Home » Community » It arrived! » The necklace our 5 yr old designed...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The necklace our 5 yr old designed... [message #44224] Mon, 20 February 2012 20:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar pittance  is currently offline pittance
Go to my shop
Today the silver necklace that our 5 year old boy helped to design was kindly put up on the blog after my wife tweeted about it and I thought more details might be interesting...

It started out with a drawing when we (my son & I) were trying to think what we might be able to make or buy for my wife's birthday:
index.php?t=getfile&id=14745&private=0

Since it looked interesting we tried to get to a model that might look like it; we initially wanted to have something in the middle oval but couldn't work out a way to do it with the time we had.

I'm not a natural with Blender so I started with Processing but gave up when I couldn't get something that looked right.

A few false starts in Blender ended up with this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=14747&private=0

It was the first silver order I've ever done and and we were really happy with the result, even though we couldn't get the extra polished version (Maartje in the customer service department told us that some parts couldn't be polished fully because of the intricate design and that it wouldn't look good only really shiny in parts) - as it stands it's shiny enough for us and looks really good on the chain.

I shan't say how much it cost since my wife might read this but I was surprised by how reasonably priced it was given its size (over 3cm width and height)...

Thanks to Shapeways for helping make this present

Re: The necklace our 5 yr old designed... [message #44226 is a reply to message #44224 ] Mon, 20 February 2012 23:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
That's a wonderful story and I'm really pleased that you're happy with the result!

Don't know if you caught it, but we shared this on the Shapeways blog today. Smile

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1223-Birthday-Present -Designed-by-5-Year-Old-and-3D-Printed-in-Silver.html

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Dicky - the Elephant
Next Topic:my second ring in silver