Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Stainless steel with inset of polymer clay
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless steel with inset of polymer clay [message #44199] Mon, 20 February 2012 06:05 UTC
avatar owlposse  is currently offline owlposse
Go to all my models
Hey guys!

I saw a while back there was a thread here where someone had cleverly laid polymer clay in grooves of a stainless steel piece.

I decided to have a crack at doing the same, and also bought myself a rotary tool with diamond burrs to polish it all up.

I first roughly polished the external parts of the ring (leaving the inside intact for character). I then smooshed the polymer clay into the grooves on the ring, making it all as neat and flush as possible. In the oven at 200ºF for 20 minutes or so then let it cool. Once cool I finished up the grinding and polishing.

Here are the results using black polymer, and also a granite looking polymer with grit mixed in. I like them a lot Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=14736&private=0

Previous Topic:polishing Polished WSF after acrylic
Next Topic:Dying Alumide

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.