Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Materials Compare
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Materials Compare [message #44047] Wed, 15 February 2012 02:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar firefly  is currently offline firefly
Go to my shop
I am trying to figure out what material would be best to use for my model.

I was wondering how white detail and frosted detail compare. Since frosted is a bit cheaper for my model, I was wondering if there are any downsides of using that as opposed white. It looks like the only benefit of white detail over frosted is strength - how much of a difference is it? Would I have to worry about frosted breaking easily?

I am using it as a master for a mold so I'd like the smoothest finish possible, and it just needs to be strong enough to withstand molding (with a soft silicone). My part is a 1/3 scale face so there is a bit of thinness around the ears and I worry about chipping on hard edges, but everything seems well within rage.

Is the detail material even worth it? I don't know if I am better off with WSF since it is a lot less expensive. I have some text in my piece that I am worried about, but it doesn't have too fine of detail. I want to keep priming and sanding to a minimum since it is a pain so I would be willing to pay for the more detailed material if there is a big enough difference - I'd hate to loose too much detail.

My model is here, just to get an idea of part size and detail: http://www.shapeways.com/model/477868/oriana.html
You have to view it in 3D to see the text - it is on the inside.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks,
Samantha

*edited to add another question

[Updated on: Sun, 19 February 2012 05:20 UTC]

Re: Materials Compare [message #44197 is a reply to message #44047 ] Mon, 20 February 2012 00:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar firefly  is currently offline firefly
Go to my shop
Is there a better place to ask this question? I'd really like an opinion on what material to use - the material descriptions only help me so much. I want to print my model soon but I don't really have the money to risk choosing the wrong material. Any help would be great.

Previous Topic:Full color sandstone image resolution
Next Topic:Color sandstone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.