Home » Support » 3D Printing » Uploaded model rotated
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Uploaded model rotated [message #399] Mon, 28 July 2008 22:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Indy  is currently offline Indy
Go to my shop
Hi, first of all let me thank you for giving me the chance to join the shapeways beta program.

I've uploaded a low poly mesh of a F1 Powerboat and subsequently placed an order. Should I receive an email before actually being able to order a printed model or has my model been autmatically validated for printing?
Since I already placed the order I hope that once I'm able to do so, it means that the model has passed validation.
I also have several other questions, that i should have asked before actually placing the order, but i was too excited over this service and i didn't tought about them.

First of all when i preview the uploaded model online, i see the mesh rotated so that the top is actually bottom. Is this an issue? Will you be able to rotate the model before actually printing it, if you see that it can't be printed the way it is rotated now?

Another question i have is about smoothing groups. In 3ds max i can control the way smoothing is applied to faces but once i exported the model, all the faces were set to smooth.
Will smoothing groups affect the quality of the printed model? It's not an issue at all when you deal with high poly models, but the hull I've submitted it's kinda low poly and I'm wondering how this will affect the printing procedure.

I submitted this model just to test out the service with something fast that i would like to see printed, it's just for my own satisfaction and i don't mind if the printing result will not be perfect, I'm aware of the fact that a low poly model is not the best mesh to print and i plan to print more complex and accurate models in the near future.

Thank you for your support

Re: Uploaded model rotated [message #411 is a reply to message #399 ] Tue, 29 July 2008 14:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey Indy!

Indy wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 18:46

I've uploaded a low poly mesh of a F1 Powerboat and subsequently placed an order. Should I receive an email before actually being able to order a printed model or has my model been autmatically validated for printing?

Once your model appears in 'My Designs', it has been validated and it's available for ordering. Simple objects can appear quickly, while complicated models (>100k faces) may take quite a bit longer for processing - sometimes up to a few hours.

Quote:

First of all when i preview the uploaded model online, i see the mesh rotated so that the top is actually bottom. Is this an issue? Will you be able to rotate the model before actually printing it, if you see that it can't be printed the way it is rotated now?

Other than an inconvenience for the preview, it's not an issue. Our operators will re-orient your model before printing so that it will give the best print result / strongest model. You don't have to worry about that.

Quote:

Another question i have is about smoothing groups. In 3ds max i can control the way smoothing is applied to faces but once i exported the model, all the faces were set to smooth. Will smoothing groups affect the quality of the printed model? It's not an issue at all when you deal with high poly models, but the hull I've submitted it's kinda low poly and I'm wondering how this will affect the printing procedure.

I've asked around for you and at this moment, we do not use smoothing group information. You'd better subdivide your model manually before uploading it to Shapeways.

Quote:

I submitted this model just to test out the service with something fast that i would like to see printed, it's just for my own satisfaction and i don't mind if the printing result will not be perfect, I'm aware of the fact that a low poly model is not the best mesh to print and i plan to print more complex and accurate models in the near future.

Cool - please share the result, even if it didn't work out the way you thought.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Uploaded model rotated [message #414 is a reply to message #411 ] Tue, 29 July 2008 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you very much for your kind reply.
Good to hear about smoothing groups, i thought so but i wasn't sure about it, so if the model looks a bit ugly because of wrong smoothing applied to it, it will still look fine when printed (at least i think so).
Of course I'll share the results even though I'll be on holidays starting from next week and i won't be able to upload any feedback or pics of the model till the end of the month Sad
Thanks again,
Roberto

Re: Uploaded model rotated [message #431 is a reply to message #414 ] Wed, 30 July 2008 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Barry_FM  is currently offline Barry_FM
Go to all my models
Be careful: I am pretty sure that Smoothing Groups in 3ds Max do not affect the output of 3DPrinting in the least. They are a visual effect used for rendered output.

Try this: Make a standard Sphere and set the Segments to 16. The edges of the sphere are totally rough, and yet because of smoothing the center is a nice flawless gradient. This is visual trickery and should not be relied on as a gauge for your printed output.

To preview how smooth your model will be you need to be looking at the raw polygons or surfaces without any smoothing applied. Try setting the viewport render mode to 'Facets+Highlights' to get a better idea of your model resolution. If the model appears too rough in this view - it is very likely you will see the roughness in your final output.

The only way to make the model 'smoother' is to add more faces/polys by subdividing.

(...Unless the printers now have a mechanism built in to read the smoothing information and apply some smoothing internally before printing. I doubt it, but I am sure someone from shapeways can correct me here if I am wrong about the capabilities.)

Good luck.
Re: Uploaded model rotated [message #438 is a reply to message #431 ] Thu, 31 July 2008 08:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
@Barry_FM: you're absolutely correct. Smoothing information is discarded by our process.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Uploaded model rotated [message #440 is a reply to message #438 ] Thu, 31 July 2008 11:30 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
bartv wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 04:05

@Barry_FM: you're absolutely correct. Smoothing information is discarded by our process.

Cheers,

Bart

Ok, that's what i needed to know.
Since my model was low poly bad smoothing information could negatively affect the printing process, if those informations were not discarded.
It's clear that for a smoother outup more polygons on the model are neecessary.
Thank you all Smile

Previous Topic:Hollow objects
Next Topic:Question about Eden 500