Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Printing Disjoint Objects
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing Disjoint Objects [message #43508] Sun, 05 February 2012 22:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar jwholper94  is currently offline jwholper94
Go to my shop
Hello everyone!

I was thinking of using shapeways to create a few various small things that I need. I was wondering if I could design each part disjoint from the other in one file, so I would only have to upload that single file. Can the parts be completely separate from eachother? Or would I have to attach them all together in some way. (Think of a plastic model airplane, with each part held by small tubes of plastic. Are the tubes needed, or can i just make the parts)
Re: Printing Disjoint Objects [message #43517 is a reply to message #43508 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 04:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
You don't have to connect them, but you risk not getting all of them due to human error, particularly if they don't appear to go together. Some other members have reported problems with this. Shapeways has been good about re-printing, but I think I speak for the community that we don't want to push our luck. I'd have to re-design a number of things if I had to sprue all the parts together.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Printing Disjoint Objects [message #43539 is a reply to message #43517 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 15:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The other option, if you have a large number of small parts, is to put a "bounding box" around them such that the box has holes for the support material to escape, but the parts themselves won't fall out.

Unfortuntately, for many designs, the box itself may be more material than the parts.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2012 15:40 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Printing Disjoint Objects [message #43542 is a reply to message #43539 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jwholper94  is currently offline jwholper94
Go to my shop
I think I'll do something similar to the model airplane example I used, with the parts attached with thin, easy to remove tubes. How thin can I make the attachment points without having to worry about them falling off or not fusing at all. I will be using WSF material btw.
Re: Printing Disjoint Objects [message #43556 is a reply to message #43542 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 17:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One thing.. you said "tubes".. they don't need to be hollow.

As to the size.. they need to be large/strong enough not to pull apart during cleaning, so the needed size can vary quite a bit.

I work in 1:220 scale, and connecting sprues between 1.0mm and 1.5mm seem to be strong enough to work just fine. But, if youre building larger items (say longer than 10cm) then your sprues will need be thicker.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Mineways .wrl problem
Next Topic:cannot thicken surface to print

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.