Home » Community » It arrived! » Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43122] Mon, 30 January 2012 17:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Kaczor  is currently offline Kaczor
Go to my shop
Today I received a package with my first models Smile I am impressed by the speed of production and delivery (total 1 week) .

Small wooden toilet looks awesome - detailed and smooth:
index.php?t=getfile&id=14079&private=0
It has a height of 15mm.
index.php?t=getfile&id=14080&private=0

But my narrow gauge train car turn out not so good - walls have no detail and are rugged, "frosted". Is this how it should look like?
index.php?t=getfile&id=14081&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_9138.jpg
    (Size: 80.59KB, Downloaded 670 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9140.jpg
    (Size: 79.69KB, Downloaded 667 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9143.jpg
    (Size: 72.42KB, Downloaded 657 time(s))

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43137 is a reply to message #43122 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
Like the dunny Very Happy
Is it two models or does the door open?
Cheers
Stu
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43141 is a reply to message #43137 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Actually it's 3 part model (for easier painting):
index.php?t=getfile&id=14084&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_9145.jpg
    (Size: 70.92KB, Downloaded 641 time(s))

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43143 is a reply to message #43122 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The frosting is caused by the support material. It appears the model was printed from the base to the top, and support material had to go all the way up the side of the walls to support the roof.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43146 is a reply to message #43143 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Hi Kaczor;

Were the sides of the narrow gauge car behind the cross-bracing supposed to be smooth without horizontal lines?

Would you post an image of the computer model for comparison with the print?
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43152 is a reply to message #43146 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
GWMT wrote on Mon, 30 January 2012 21:15

Were the sides of the narrow gauge car behind the cross-bracing supposed to be smooth without horizontal lines?

This car is made of wooden boards so there are many verical lines, but on model is just too many...
index.php?t=getfile&id=14086&private=0

• Attachment: kddx4.jpg
    (Size: 57.49KB, Downloaded 594 time(s))

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43160 is a reply to message #43152 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 22:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, Kaczor for posting that. Do you think the surface is too rough to be fixed with some light sanding? I was planning to do this car in Frosted Detail as one piece:
index.php?t=getfile&id=14094&private=0
Now I think I'm going to try it as a flat kit with separate sides and ends so no support material gets printed on the outside surfaces. Your model might turn out better that way.

Hopefully shipping will attach the flat parts to a sheet of cardboard so this doesn't happen again:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=7484&a mp;start=0&

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43167 is a reply to message #43160 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 00:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
GWMT wrote on Mon, 30 January 2012 22:59

Now I think I'm going to try it as a flat kit with separate sides and ends so no support material gets printed on the outside surfaces. Your model might turn out better that way.

Counterproductive.

1.)
We avoid multiple parts per file whenever we can, and Shapeways don't make "one pice per file" an official rule.

2.)
We have no control about the print direction.
If it's better for the printers capacity utilisation, the separate sides might (still) get printed edgewise.

Other question...
Do you really need FUDs detail level ?
I have this item on the table for painting.
The groovings for the rolling shutter gates are 0,3mm wide and 0,3mm deep.
The door casings are 0,5mm wide and 0,5mm tall.
... and those specs are perfect for a print in "White, Strong and Flexible, polished".
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43173 is a reply to message #43167 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 02:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
WSF is unsuitable for model trains smaller than 1:48, UD and FUD is the only way to go. The 'frosting' on the side of the car is normal. This can usually be helped by uploading the file with the bottom of the car in the X-Z plane (lying on its side). It will usually be re-oriented in the vertical direction, but at least the sides will be in the X-Z, rather than the dreaded Y-Z plane. I've had warping problems, and really the only way to prevent that is to make boxes and/or framework. Shapeways doesn't seem interested in handling our small models with the care they need.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43176 is a reply to message #43167 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 02:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I always join the parts together with sprues so nothing will get lost.

You do have more control over orientation with FD and FUD than WSF if you make sure your preferred print orientation uses less support material than the other possible orientations; the operator should choose that orientation for printing because it uses the least amount of (support) material and machine time to print the part.

I need the finer resolution; WSF cannot print 0.3mm rivets or holes on the 'side' orientations of the print plus you get a 0.3mm deep indentation where the outside edge of the print should be on the 'bottom' orientation of a WSF print. WSF's surface is too grainy to represent steel surfaces in HO scale - it'd take days to sand around all those rivets (if they printed) without destroying them.

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43195 is a reply to message #43167 ] Tue, 31 January 2012 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Great models Kaczor!

@pfeiffer stylez - If Shapeways pays for FUD the same way as other services charge, then making the sides of a carriage seperate and flat in the sam plane will more or less guarantee the outside (or inside) will be uppermost on the print tray - the reason, other services charge per vertical mm for the area of the tray. Also WSF will get nowhere near the same level of detail as FD or FUD.
Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43522 is a reply to message #43122 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 10:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Now I have lesson to NOT use isopropyl alcohol and ultrasonic bath on FUD. Material became soft and eventually crack and "exploded". I could use it only as a painting trainer. Confused index.php?t=getfile&id=14308&private=0

• Attachment: wag.jpg
    (Size: 83.40KB, Downloaded 381 time(s))

Re: Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale [message #43524 is a reply to message #43522 ] Mon, 06 February 2012 10:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
OOOOH........POO! Shocked Guess we wont be using that idea then Crying or Very Sad

Previous Topic:The Pan-NO-head
Next Topic:my first print, a silver ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.