Home » Community » General Discussion » Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services'
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43289] Wed, 01 February 2012 15:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar anachreon  is currently offline anachreon
Go to my shop
Hiya,

Has anyone seen this?

http://blog.makezine.com/2007/08/02/3d-mass-customization/

http://www.digitalrealitycorp.com/blog/mass-customization/it em/103-patent-for-digital-factory-now-public

Any ideas on what this means/might mean for Shapeways?

Cheers,

Luis.
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43296 is a reply to message #43289 ] Wed, 01 February 2012 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The opening of the actual patent is...
Quote:

Methods and systems for designing and producing a three-dimensional object selection of a base three-dimensional object from a customer device. A base three-dimensional model corresponding to the object is displayed on the customer device, and one or more custom modifications are received. A modified three-dimensional model corresponding to the modified object is prepared and displayed. Once confirmation to produce the modified object is received, data corresponding to the modified three-dimensional model is transmitted to a manufacturing device for production of the object, using the data to do so, such that the object corresponds directly to the modified three-dimensional model.

I think the key to the patent is, a base object from a customer device which is then modified for printing as per the first paragrah "... receiving at least one custom modification to the base three-dimensional model from the customer device..."
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43331 is a reply to message #43296 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 13:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hagman  is currently offline hagman
Go to all my models
One day I'll submit a patent titled "A Method for Doing Obvious Things by Doing Them in an Obvious Manner"
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43334 is a reply to message #43331 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar anachreon  is currently offline anachreon
Go to my shop
Dang! You've now got prior art!

Cheers,

Luis.
Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43349 is a reply to message #43334 ] Thu, 02 February 2012 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
USPO (imo) has a long way to go before they match up to UK standards - come on, I have a method for creating the pendant I am wearing right now, can I patent the method? No because I am a UK citizen. Can I patent the pendant itself? No because it is a pendant. Can I apply for Design Rights? Yes, but I don't need to as it is already protected as an Unregistered Design.

Whatever happened to a Patent meaning a protected Invention?

Re: Patent on online 3D Printing 'Services' [message #43454 is a reply to message #43349 ] Sat, 04 February 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
How about if I file a patent on "A government office that issues certificates granting ownership of ideas/methods/objects to individuals."

In other words.. Patent the Patent Office, and then sue the USPO for violating MY patent!

Very Happy

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Materials selection question
Next Topic:Sunlight, heat and melting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.