Home » Community » General Discussion » Material Glass
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Glass [message #43201] Tue, 31 January 2012 09:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar NovastarDesign  is currently offline NovastarDesign
Go to my shop
I was wondering if people are using the material glass, because i not see pictures in the forum section 'it arrived'...
Could it also be a good material for making jewelry and rings? I would like to know if someone have experience with this

Greetz Novastar
Re: Material Glass [message #43301 is a reply to message #43201 ] Wed, 01 February 2012 17:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
When considering the use of SW printed glass for jewelry designs it is really important to realize that this material is brittle and fragile when compared to metal and plastic. A design that works in metal, like a flat band finger ring 2-3mm thick will almost certainly NOT be durable enough to survive use when made in the glass print media.
Tiny connection rings with 1mm wall thickness will break off VERY easily. This material can and will work but designs need to be robust and well considered otherwise you are wasting your money.
Flat pendants 1.5mm thick with frilly design elements are about as strong as crystalized sugar and simply will not withstand the rigors of real world applications. So when designing remember IT"S GLASS, duh!
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Which axis is "up"?
Next Topic:SLS NYLON

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.