Home » Community » It arrived! » The Pan-NO-head
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The Pan-NO-head [message #42610] Mon, 23 January 2012 23:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
This is made for the "Samyang 8mm" fisheye lens. It does not matter what camera the lens is on, the pivot points are located over the npp/lpp/osp point of the lens, and mounted to the lens itself.

While there are methods for using string and a plumb bob to shoot panos, they do not pivot accurately around the npp. I believe this is the first use of a pivot and yoke to suspend the plumb bob accurately from the npp.

Of course this is only as accurate as the operator. I had no problems and I made sure to include foreground and background items in the scenes. I got very good stitches. I have left the few minor errors that were present.

I have made some revisions to the parts in the link. I have reduced the yoke width to 1/2 its current width. This will make the white square at the nadir(straight down) 1/4 of what it is now. I also modified the way the string is attached to allow for multiple heights without re-tieing.

Unfortunately...I had this set printed in WSF as a test print, with the intention of printing them in GR. I did get one set ordered in GR before it was discontinued, I hope they work as well as the WSF.

My very first handheld pano with the "Pan-NO-head" is here along with pictures of how it's mounted and operated.
The Pano-NO-head

My next two test panos,
Rainforest house at the zoo from the mezzanine
Rainforest house at the zoo

feedback is always welcome.
bvr

ps. Hey Shapeways, can I come shoot an interactive panorama of the production facility in NY with parts that were made there?
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #42828 is a reply to message #42610 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 22:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very effective pano's and good product. What programme do you use for the stitching?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #42858 is a reply to message #42610 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
Nice! The captured environments are fun to have a look around. I've seen a lot of similar captures that always leave me feeling limited because I can't look as far up or down as I wish I could due to large blind spots. Felt nice and free here. :)
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #42930 is a reply to message #42828 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 22:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Lensman,

I used PTGui for this stitch. I thought this was a good idea, but it may not be received well in pano circles. It's inexpensive and made of plastic, two things that are kinda shunned by some. Personally, I have no issues with any material. As long as they are used within their capabilities they will perform just fine.
thanks for looking
bvr

edit: can't spell

[Updated on: Fri, 27 January 2012 22:16 UTC]

Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #42932 is a reply to message #42858 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 22:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Happenstance Heroes,
Thanks! I also like being able to look all the way around. It pains me when I can't shoot a full sphere.

bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43145 is a reply to message #42610 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 20:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
YESSSSS,

That would be so cool,

We will let you know when we are ready for a 360 photoshoot.

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43147 is a reply to message #42930 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hans.lambermont  is currently offline hans.lambermont
Go to all my models
I work here
Cool project and excellent result ! I've used hugin for my image stitching and found that I needed something like your Pano-NO-Head to better align the frames. The only thing I knew of before was a modified computerized astronomy mount Smile Your solution is so much simpeler. Very cool.
-- Hans
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43157 is a reply to message #43145 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 22:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Duann,
I'm just at the other end of the state, let me know in advance so I may arrange things. It would be a pretty sweet pano.
Bill

edit: can't spell

[Updated on: Mon, 30 January 2012 22:43 UTC]

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43158 is a reply to message #43147 ] Mon, 30 January 2012 22:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hans,
I also use hugin for certain scenes. This little device ensures you are rotating around the correct point, which makes stitching very easy. As long as its bright enough to allow handheld shots this "Pan-NO-head means I don't have to carry 30lbs of gear.

thanks
Bill

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43486 is a reply to message #42610 ] Sun, 05 February 2012 14:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I had my revisions printed. The major revision was reducing the cross section of the yoke to 1/2 of what it was. This will make the square at the bottom of the pano to 1/4 of what it was.

Unfortunately, some sort of error crept into my second revision. I modeled a different method for attaching the plumb bob, but on that part one of the hooks came out way too big Sad Too big to use. The hook on the other side is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what happened?
thanks for looking
bvr

http://buffalovr.com/pannohead/yokes.jpg
http://buffalovr.com/pannohead/pannoheadgr.jpg

you can see how much too big the slot is, its almost twice as wide as it should be.
http://buffalovr.com/pannohead/twohooks.jpg

It almost looks like it was glued together?
http://buffalovr.com/pannohead/badhookcu.jpg

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: The Pan-NO-head [message #43512 is a reply to message #43486 ] Sun, 05 February 2012 23:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
Whoa, that is a pretty noteworthy discrepancy in size. No idea what would cause it, but if your model file most definitely didn't contain the same error, I'd suggest documenting such and reporting the whole thing to customer service to see if they can't hook you up with a reprint.

Previous Topic:Batarang!
Next Topic:Wooden toilet and train car in TT scale

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.