Home » Support » 3D Design » Ring turning into solid?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ring turning into solid? [message #42845] Fri, 27 January 2012 03:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar edweiss2  is currently offline edweiss2
Go to my shop
Hi there,

Apologies if this is a really dumb question, but I've tried designing a ring in SketchUp and uploading it to Shapeways, but every time I try to do so, the render shows up with the interior of the ring filled in!

Any ideas why this might be happening? I'll attach the COLLADA export. (The size isn't quite right, but that's besides the point.)

Thanks!

• Attachment: ring8.dae
    (Size: 1.49MB, Downloaded 28 time(s))

Re: Ring turning into solid? [message #42890 is a reply to message #42845 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 17:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello.
I've just opened the file in SketchUp, the model does not complete, the ring has no thickness to it and would not be printable, unless it didn't load correctly.

This is how it looks:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8200/ringup.png

I'm not sure exactly how you want it to look, but it looks as if you just need to spend a little bit of time making an inner wall to give it a wall.
Hope this helps,
Tom.
Re: Ring turning into solid? [message #42894 is a reply to message #42845 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 17:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If your designing for metal, those letters wont work either. They have to be as thick as they are tall. And the flairs on your letters are a lot thinner than the letters are tall.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Material
Next Topic:Blender, facets, and STL imports

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.