Home » Community » It arrived! » 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41637] Tue, 10 January 2012 21:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar ibot  is currently offline ibot
Go to my shop
http://drehkino.de/3Ddrehkino.jpg

This is a simple zoetrope design:
I took a blender animation shared on blendswap.com and tried to get it printed for the drehkino. The figures are only 18mm tall, but its stunning to see them walking. The detail level and wall width is at the lower limit of WSF and I really appreciate the help of the shapeways team, that pointed me to problems in my first tries.

Video of 3Drehkino

More infos on the drehkino website: drehkino.de

http://drehkino.de/3Ddisk_600px.jpg

The black/white marker ring is printed out paper and glued on the disk.
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41638 is a reply to message #41637 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models

Amazing !!

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41642 is a reply to message #41637 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That is so cool! The terminator style walk is a little creepy. Wouldn't want this dude walking behind me.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41643 is a reply to message #41637 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
Very nice version of a zoetrope! I assume you've seen the films of Eric Dyer from the Univ. of Maryland, which use a similar approach to show movement. If you haven't, take a look.

bobd
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41644 is a reply to message #41637 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 22:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Wow, this is really great.
There is a sensor on the circuit board which synchronizes the light flicker to the rotation? Is "drehkino.de" your project?
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41653 is a reply to message #41637 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 23:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
AWESOME!!!

sorry to shout, but it needs to be!

@18mm tall in WSF, could you halve the size (to be printed in FUD) and match 'Dot' a stop motion animation... but with animation in 'real time'??

[edit] after a closer look... would it be better to have the timing marks modelled into the print and then black them out later? - the paper printed ring looks a bit off-center.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 January 2012 23:39 UTC]

Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41654 is a reply to message #41644 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 23:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Dear Michael,
yes my page, I developed this simple circuit and chose a cheap reflective sensor for syncronisation. Try the generator on drehkino.de - make disks for easy 2D-disk generation.

Tobias
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41658 is a reply to message #41637 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 00:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Wow that's awesome! Very Happy
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41659 is a reply to message #41643 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@bdeaver:
Thanks for the pointer, unfortunately I haven't heard of Eric before but I am excited of the video I found on
Eric's Page. I found the rowing skeletons charon at burning man 2011 quite impressive.

Content is by far the most important thing. I created some nice disks from cartoons and movies, but most are copyrighted, so no chance to publish.

That is why I am very thankful to Mekry who made his 3D model and animation available to public,- I would not have the talent to create this.
Tobias
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41661 is a reply to message #41653 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 00:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@stop4stuff:
thank you for shouting, really.

For the animation it does not matter if the marker ring is off center, but it would definitly look better if it is integrated in the 3D print. I could imagine using a gap / solid pattern instead of black / white which should be ok for the sensor. I will try.

The dot animation is neat,- but for a disk you must always keep in mind that the animation should be cycled, like walking, rotating, drinking jumping, etc. And 1..2 seconds is the limit of a 200mm disk. "dot" is 97 seconds, around 2400 frames, 20mm per frame may fit on a 15 meter disk(diameter) , can you print that, shapeways? Smile
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41683 is a reply to message #41661 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 16:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
Very cool design. How many "frames" on your disk?
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41738 is a reply to message #41683 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 08:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
This is so great. I've been considering trying out a concept very close to this for a long time now and it's awesome to see others have achieved it nicely.
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41740 is a reply to message #41683 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@JamesSaunders: The 3D disk has 29 figures and 30 syncronisation bars (With 29 bars the figure would walk in place,- without moving). The optical syncronisation let you squeeze up to 50 frames on a disk
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41751 is a reply to message #41740 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cloaca  is currently offline cloaca
Go to all my models
Is the disk itself 3d printed aswell?

Wouldn't it be far cheaper to have the disk lasercut and only have the figurines printed in 3d?

Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41756 is a reply to message #41751 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@cloaca: Absulotely. This would be cheaper. One would need a good positioning form in the base of the figures to get them exactly placed. And some numbering,- Currently the "floor" on which they are walking is seamless, that would not be possible anymore, but I think about it for the next disk.

The creator of "mesh-test", the model I used from blendswap for the disk says in his comment, that there are other actions in the "logic editor". I have not found a way to get this movements activated. Maybe someone can tell me how? I am still searching for the next good animation. Any pointer is appreciated
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41758 is a reply to message #41661 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 13:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ibot wrote on Wed, 11 January 2012 00:32

The dot animation is neat,- but for a disk you must always keep in mind that the animation should be cycled, like walking, rotating, drinking jumping, etc. And 1..2 seconds is the limit of a 200mm disk. "dot" is 97 seconds, around 2400 frames, 20mm per frame may fit on a 15 meter disk(diameter) , can you print that, shapeways? Smile

A 15 meter diameter disk? wow that'd be huge!

In FUD you might get the figures to half the size - bringing the disk down to 7.5m - but this would still not be possible... however... who says the figures need to be on a disk? Each one could be on it's own little chain link - ok, 22 odd meters of chain is a lot, but I hope the idea come across Smile

Paul

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2012 13:23 UTC]

Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41761 is a reply to message #41637 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Paul, a chain is a great idea! If it somehow can be put on a reel, the 3D movie is perfect. But first I will stick to disks, I think of cloacas idea and will make next disk like a jigsaw puzzle: Smaller print size and non-ambiguous connection.
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41770 is a reply to message #41761 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 15:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
connector slot underneath the feet of the printed people and matching slots in the cut out disk, you can still have your seamless floor, a far thinner piece of plastic with holes matching the cross sections of the slots lasered out, wedged in between the people and the wheel. could be a different color, maybe cool.. numbering isn't that big a deal.. you can just switch em around if you've made a mistake.. we're not talking hundreds of pieces here..

maybe the same little individual people can be reused in other configurations; a horizontally spinning disk, the chain seems like a cool idea. maybe something more like how tank tracks work.. you can probably find those already modelled on thingyverse..
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41772 is a reply to message #41661 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 15:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
ibot wrote on Wed, 11 January 2012 00:32

But you don't have to mount the figures on a disk. You could, for instance, mount single figures on what is effectively a link in a chain. Then the sequence could be as long as you liked subject to the the problem inherent in moving long unwieldy chains, and of course, the cost.

Bill Bedford
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41773 is a reply to message #41772 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 15:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Great minds think alike Bill, I made the same suggestion about 2 hours ago Cool

Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41774 is a reply to message #41772 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 16:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/25586

nice overview of available tank track elements, the bases of the figures could be specifically modeled to conform to these available elements.
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41780 is a reply to message #41773 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Thu, 12 January 2012 15:55

Great minds think alike Bill, I made the same suggestion about 2 hours ago Cool

The Morphic Resonance Fields seem very strong at the moment.........

Bill Bedford
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #41793 is a reply to message #41637 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
One of the coolest things I have ever seen!!! Nod

Also like the chain suggestions even more potential!

Imagine ordering a chain/rol of "film" for a blockbuster on such a video system Wink

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #42887 is a reply to message #41793 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
I know you have the strobing light, but is there anything special about the camera? Is the shutter staying open the whole time?

Thanks!

bobd
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #42914 is a reply to message #42887 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bob, the camera is a cheap fire-and-forget camera, where I could not adjust anything (ok, macro focus was an option). I assume it had a long exposure time per frame in the dark surrounding when I started shooting the video. I adjusted the LEDs pulses to be very short (ca. 1/1000 sec) which gives the sharpest results when viewed with the naked eye. If the shutter stood open all the time the camera would still expose with 1/30 sec, the frame rate of the video.
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #42916 is a reply to message #41637 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar a.wieneke  is currently offline a.wieneke
Go to my shop
great !!!
i love it.

Andreas
http://www.wieneke.biz
http://www.betonschmuck.de
http://www.cologne-concrete.com
Re: 3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope [message #42936 is a reply to message #42916 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 22:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar hagman  is currently offline hagman
Go to all my models
This is really awesome! I can barely imagine how exciting and impressing it would be to see those little guys *live* Shocked

Previous Topic:Valentine's Pendants and Hairpins
Next Topic:Black Detail 2mm shaft `came out crooked ..?