Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42731] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Fj00  is currently offline Fj00
Go to all my models
I have a project that I just started, but unfortunately the modeling programs aren't intuitive, and I don't want to spend hours learning how to use them. I think it should be easy to make, since it is just a bunch of rectangular prisms.

I have an idea to make a custom Scrabble board, bigger than the usual size, 21x21 rectangles, instead of 15x15. The base would be wood. However, I need a special raised plastic grid on top, so that tiles fit inside, and don't move. Here is what it looks like in text:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Did that work? The lines and dots should be connected, straight, and of plastic. The rectangles in between the lines are open.

Here is a website that makes what I am trying to do, but in the standard 15x15 size:

http://www.customscrabbleboards.com/

I have the dimensions for everything. Each individual cell inside the grid should be 0.75" x 0.8125" of no plastic, with a border of plastic 0.0625". The depth for everything should be 0.0625". The whole grid should come out to 17.125" x 18.4375" x 0.0625". That is:

0.0625*22 + 0.75*21 = 17.125"
0.0625*22 + 0.8125*21 = 18.4375"
Depth of 0.625"

The grid works out to slightly less than 3 cubic inches.

I would buy a thin sheet of plastic and glue the grid onto it.

Can it be made into .stl format? What am I looking at in terms of labor? Thanks.
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42732 is a reply to message #42731 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
The labor would take most modelers about a minute or two, but the print is pretty large (too large?), and might cost a bit. It might even need to be split into four pieces. For this type of project I'd suggest using a laser cutter.

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42735 is a reply to message #42731 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there stores that do laser cutting, and I could just tell them the specs I need?
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42739 is a reply to message #42735 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar baltimore  is currently offline baltimore
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
http://www.shapeways.com/model/452469/

it'll cost $68.91 to print it here. There are online laser cutting services, and for those you'd have to send a 2d drawing. most places charge between $1 and $2 per minute to cut. I'm not sure how long it'd take though, and you might also need to do it in more than one piece.

www.Custom3dStuff.com
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42753 is a reply to message #42739 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Nice, you made it. I actually laughed when I saw it. Thanks. Maybe laser cutting will be better, but at least I have a viable alternative.
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42850 is a reply to message #42753 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
I know someone with a laser cutter. They charge $100 startup fee but pretty low cost per part if you need duplicates. If you are interested I can inquire about costs. Sipping may be a problem WSF may be great option as it is flexible and I bet that print could be rolled up

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board [message #42851 is a reply to message #42850 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 04:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the response, but I have already found a place that can do it for me locally.

Previous Topic:Would love some help. Trying to do something for charity.
Next Topic:3D Modeler Need for a Custom Rubik's Cube

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.