Home » Community » Work in progress » ShapeWays Model Preview Colours
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42684] Tue, 24 January 2012 23:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar Cmast  is currently offline Cmast
Go to my shop
Hey guys,
I spent some time in Sketchup creating and colouring a character.
I managed to import him into Blender then export him as a .x3d file, when uploaded to ShapeWays the models colours appear all sorts of funky.

index.php?t=getfile&id=13839&private=0

Here is how he should look.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7760/shapewaycolouractual.png

Will he be ok to print?

Thanks! (First post!!!)

Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42689 is a reply to message #42684 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 00:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
"Ok" is relative. ^^
But what you see is what you'll get... which means something is wrong with the UV map for this model.
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42700 is a reply to message #42684 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Shapeways mesh fixer will mess up your uv mapping if you've got too close vertices in your file (they'll be merged, and your uv will go bad), or if your file is not saved with sufficient numerical resolution.

Kaetemi
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42709 is a reply to message #42684 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 13:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So its gets printed as the preview displays it?
Bah!

In Blender I have to make the model very very very small to get it to the ~10CM height I wanted the print, is there a way of working around this?
And in the process could that fix the original issue.

I've been using Blender for all of 2 days so far Razz
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42714 is a reply to message #42684 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Is your mesh one body or is it multiple? If the person is separate from the base the fix is easy. Move him down a hair so his feet are actually in the base. If it's any of the other parts that are separate bodies it wont be as easy because moving them to imbed them will make the outside faces become overlapping.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42716 is a reply to message #42714 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 25 January 2012 15:23

Is your mesh one body or is it multiple? If the person is separate from the base the fix is easy. Move him down a hair so his feet are actually in the base. If it's any of the other parts that are separate bodies it wont be as easy because moving them to imbed them will make the outside faces become overlapping.

The feet and the base are touching, to the best of my knowledge.

All the different colour parts are separate, created in SketchUp.

Parts like the belt and stuff are just planes on the same level as the pants.
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42722 is a reply to message #42684 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
"touching" is where the problem is. faces that share the same space cause the software issues. If they are imbedded than the software can handle it. As long as none of the faces are on top of each other.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42724 is a reply to message #42722 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 16:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 25 January 2012 16:37

"touching" is where the problem is. faces that share the same space cause the software issues. If they are imbedded than the software can handle it. As long as none of the faces are on top of each other.

I'll post a wireframe screenie when I get home. I would then ask thine mighty brain to decipher the issue.
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42725 is a reply to message #42709 ] Wed, 25 January 2012 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Cmast wrote on Wed, 25 January 2012 13:38

So its gets printed as the preview displays it?

If the preview is goofed, then you can pretty much count on the final result having issues as well.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42793 is a reply to message #42684 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Tried a few more times last night, getting the base exactly touching the feet but its still broke. Must be the rest of the mesh.
Start from scratch time methings!
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42800 is a reply to message #42684 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 13:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
You said each color is a different part, and some part are just sheet bodies. If you build it like this it won't work. If he's just touching the base it won't work. You need to embed the parts. They need to be inside each other.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: ShapeWays Model Preview Colours [message #42801 is a reply to message #42800 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 14:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 26 January 2012 13:54

You said each color is a different part, and some part are just sheet bodies. If you build it like this it won't work. If he's just touching the base it won't work. You need to embed the parts. They need to be inside each other.

Oh!
I thought you meant the other way. Embarassed

It took like an hour to get the parts just touching in Blender! Rolling Eyes

Previous Topic:FREE SUSHI!*
Next Topic:New Rings Collection