Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal"
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #41317] Fri, 06 January 2012 18:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar jducoeur  is currently offline jducoeur
Go to all my models
I have a LARP coming up in May (based on the Girl Genius comic book); for that, I'd like to create one of the key game items as a real prop.

Conceptually, the item is a "clockwork crystal" -- essentially an oversized hollow diamond with little crystal cogs and wheels inside of it. Doing that exactly as envisioned probably isn't feasible (it really calls for clear glass, which isn't available), so I'm looking for somebody to design a reasonable workaround.

I'm figuring on it likely being made out of Ultra Detail, with gears either embossed on the outside and/or with some cutouts showing some inside. Size should be large enough to be noticeable, small enough to fit in a pocket. Overall shape should be sort of classically diamond-shaped, with a pointy bottom. I'm not expecting miracles here, just something that gets the idea of "clockwork crystal" across fairly viscerally.

The commission should also include a base that the crystal would fit closely and stably into. I'd probably like to do that in bronze-finished stainless, so it would ideally be hollow to keep the price down. (The bottom would be attached to something, so it would be fine if the base was entirely hollow underneath, so long as it looks solid from above.)

This is going to be a one-shot, so I can't spend a fortune, but I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee for the work. If you'd be interested please contact me directly (jducoeur at gmail) with some samples of your prior work, a quote of how much you'd charge for it, and a rough schedule of when you could do it. Please drop me an email if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Re: Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #41695 is a reply to message #41317 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Do you have any sketches? Anything visual I can see? Possibly images from other steampunk accessories similar to what your wanting. What dimentions in millimeters if possible are you wanting this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #41744 is a reply to message #41317 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 10:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
I'll give it a shot. If you can draw it, I can make it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #41916 is a reply to message #41744 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This would be interesting to see. Good luck to both of you.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 January 2012 02:54 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #42216 is a reply to message #41317 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 01:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar silentrage  is currently offline silentrage
Go to my shop
I'm up for designing and modeling the crystal for you,
I can do sketches of the design based on your feedback until you're happy with it, then proceed to the modeling, it'll cost a little more than just modeling but you'll know for sure what you're gonna get in the end.
Let me know if you're interested.
Re: Commission: looking for a steampunk "crystal" [message #42512 is a reply to message #42216 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 21:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
I love girl genius! Such a fun comic, send me a real email if you need me, I have lots of experience making shapeways stuff!

bowenlady@gmail.com

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam

Previous Topic:Rod of Asclepius Earrings
Next Topic:3D Modeller to rejuvenate Model Range

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.