Home » Community » General Discussion » Need some advice on this model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need some advice on this model [message #42304] Fri, 20 January 2012 02:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405734_353317394697989_244252218937841_1295923_140989721_n.jpg

This is a model I've been trying to get okayed for awhile now. It's called "Luck Be A Lady Ninja Tonight" and will be intended for 1:18 scaled actions figures and figurines. It was created by taking a base model and altering it using Sculptris.

The current specs are
110899 points
333297 edges
222198 triangles
14 shells
model is manifold and oriented

I can run it through netfabb basic manually, but if I run it through the cloud site or try to upload here, it generates a "calculation fail" error. I guess at this point I want to figure out, where exactly my issue might ly rather than endlessly running it through automated repair programs and generating the same errored result.
Re: Need some advice on this model [message #42305 is a reply to message #42304 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 02:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
how is there 14 shells?
that looks like 1 piece- the head.

this might be the issue, but i would also ask if you are trying to make it hollow... that process might be the issue as well.

other wise export it out as an obj and send it to me and i can take a look.

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: Need some advice on this model [message #42310 is a reply to message #42305 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 06:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
The file began as a head form with openings at the eyes and neck but everything appears to be cleaned up either with some work I did in Hexagon, or with Netfabb Basic.

Re: Need some advice on this model [message #42321 is a reply to message #42310 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 13:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You have each eyeball as two spheres, and it looks like they may be co-incident. I would try removing one of each of them.

The 14 shells comes from the fact that the detail around and including the eyes has not been welded into single shell with the main head. Not that you have to, but you might try welding it all into one shell and see if that helps.

There also seems to be quite a bit of "rough" area on the right jawbone, almost back to the ear. Lots of very small inverted triangles back there (and in the ear itself). I would try to smooth that out, and fix the flipped triangles... That may reduce the amount of processing that the two upload sites are having to go thru.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Access to Shapeways 3D Viewer
Next Topic:Good material?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.