Home » Community » Work in progress » What Material's best for miniatures...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
What Material's best for miniatures... [message #42286] Thu, 19 January 2012 23:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
I've been playing at 3d modelling for Warhammer 40k for the past several months. At first I just started designing for the transparent detail and white strong and flexable. My orders in WSF and TD have looked good enough for government work and the price was right about competative with professionally manufacture products. I'm sort of trying to feel out whether its worth the added cost to switch to designing for and ordering in FD or FUD. The extra cost and what i've heard about added cleanup makes me hesitant.
I was wondering if any miniature designers had an oppinion on this.

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
Re: What Material's best for miniatures... [message #42308 is a reply to message #42286 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
If you are happy with the detail in WSF and TD, then you'll be estatic over the detail in FUD. If you're able to take advantage of thinner wall sections then the cost doesn't rise very much and the detail is on par with injection molding. But FUD is fragile and may not be suitable if you plan on handling your miniatures a lot.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: What Material's best for miniatures... [message #42346 is a reply to message #42308 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 18:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
would you say its more ore less brittle than traditional casting resin?
And further I don't realy know if i can thin the models enough to save money, organic models are hard to shell by hand. Any idea of a tool to shell a model accurately?

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com

Previous Topic:Patterns or textures
Next Topic:feedback on ring ideas

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.