Home » Support » 3D Design » 3d printing PCB
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3d printing PCB [message #42074] Tue, 17 January 2012 00:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar captainkynan  is currently offline captainkynan
Go to my shop
Curious as to weather it would be possible to combine materials ie. WSF and SS to create a 3D PCB?
Has anyone else consideres this. It could be used to incorperate the PCB into an enclosure and release product limitations from the dimensions of a flat PCB.index.php?t=getfile&id=13471&private=0

• Attachment: 3d_pcb.bmp
    (Size: 1.17MB, Downloaded 464 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2012 00:13 UTC]

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
Chinese proverb
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42078 is a reply to message #42074 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
The two processes (WSF/SS) are dissimilar and can't be combined with the current technology at Shapeways.

Someday.. Someday.. (wistful)

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42079 is a reply to message #42074 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
Not only that, but SS doesn't solder very well and the electrical resistance is pretty high compared with copper traces. It's a nice idea though, and I'm pretty sure developers are working on printed electrical circuits. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome though.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42081 is a reply to message #42079 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Surely if SS can be printed copper would be viable?
Maybe a multiple head printer?

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
Chinese proverb
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42082 is a reply to message #42081 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Do you mean Silver or Steel? The two are vastly different processes.

Steel is laid down in tiny granules that are then bound together before placing in a kiln to be "melted" together.

Silver is first printed in wax and run thru a lost-wax casting process.

Both of these production methods have enough heat that they'd melt WSF.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42084 is a reply to message #42082 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 01:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Maybe 2 parts, tracks and body, that clip together.
Just dreaming...

Chinese proverb
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42088 is a reply to message #42084 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 03:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
captainkynan wrote on Tue, 17 January 2012 01:57

Just dreaming...

Oh, believe me.. I'm dreaming with you... or would that be called scheming?

Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42099 is a reply to message #42074 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 08:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
Laser etching is usually the preferred method for custom PCB creation. A quick google for laser etched pcb will turn up all kinds of info.

Hope that helps.

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42106 is a reply to message #42099 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 09:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was thinking of a PCB that was a part of the design, enclosure, shape; rather than being a component to design around...
Quick model as an indication...index.php?t=getfile&id=13486&private=0

This could be on the inside, or snake around complex curves...

[Updated on: Tue, 17 January 2012 10:59 UTC]

Chinese proverb
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42157 is a reply to message #42106 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 23:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Twopounder  is currently offline Twopounder
Go to my shop
I think your bigger problem would be soldering square chips onto round or odd shaped PCBs. Plus most PCB's are multi-layered now days, and that would be really, really hard to do as a sphere.

It looks like some companies are trying to tackle it though...

http://fracturedmesh.blogspot.com/ - my 3d modeling blog
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42193 is a reply to message #42074 ] Wed, 18 January 2012 17:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
A while ago I was doing some testing using methods to put a metal plating on printed plastic parts, and the method I was using is actually fairly common. By painting any object, even an organic one, with a silver conductive paint, the object becomes conductive enough to apply electroplating.

By selectively applying the paint to your traces you be able to copper plate them. You'd just have to join the traces with bridges temporarily so they are all connected, then cut the bridges after plating.

You can buy silver suspension paints on ebay. Here is one that has a whopping 60% concentration: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONDUCTIVE-SILVER-PAINT-over-60-silv er-LARGE-30-grams-/270793802037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item3f0c918135

You can find tutorials for electroplating online. The other ingredients are available locally. The copper chloride is at pool supply stores and sulfuric acid a.k.a. battery acid at auto supply stores (uh...be careful, wear safety equipment etc.). Build up those traces thick enough and you'll be able to solder it. You'll have to do it very quickly to avoid distorting the nearby plastic, so use a very hot soldering iron with a sharp tip. You could make some ok circuits, but using IC's would be pushing it unless you are really good with that stuff and have nice equipment like an ultrasonic soldering iron. LED lighting should be fairly easy.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2012 19:58 UTC]

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42228 is a reply to message #42193 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 06:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was thinking more of an entire printed part. If the components are too difficult to fit into compound shapes why not print custom components.
I'm not trying to achieve a goal I'm just interested in how 3d printing WILL change the way we percieve and create designs.
If these types of printing techniques are possible...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChKwIUhx_ic" target="_blank"></a>
I think that dreaming of things that are currently impossible is a driving force to make them a reality...

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2012 07:26 UTC]

Chinese proverb
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42254 is a reply to message #42074 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I appreciate your dreaming, it may may inspire someone to come up with a way to do it, so more power to you.

I do think the printing of the components themselves is at the heart of this idea. They do have printed circuits now apparently, but the real jump will be when they can print diodes and transistors to make functional circuits. I can't wait!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: 3d printing PCB [message #42255 is a reply to message #42074 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 16:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Just print the board and place it on top of your item http://www.physorg.com/news193635596.html

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Unknown Calculation Error
Next Topic:Missing textures when uploading

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.