Home » Support » 3D Printing » What solvents are safe for cleaning FUD?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
What solvents are safe for cleaning FUD? [message #41851] Fri, 13 January 2012 10:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar maketshi  is currently offline maketshi
Go to my shop
I'm using rtv silicone on FUD, and I've heard something about FUD can inhibit curing of silicone. My parts that just arrived have an oily residue that I would like to remove.

What can I use to clean it? Would acetone destroy it?

Also, what can I use as a primer coating?
Re: What solvents are safe for cleaning FUD? [message #41852 is a reply to message #41851 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 10:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Warm water, washing up liqud (the stuff used for hand washing crockery etc) & a soft brush should do the trick if it is just the oil - iirc the oil is coconut oil.

There's more methods in the post production forum - http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5438&a mp;start=0& - an ultrasonic cleaner work very well, but it will lift wax out the surface of the model leaving the model 'frosted'.
Re: What solvents are safe for cleaning FUD? [message #41919 is a reply to message #41852 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 03:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I use 90% isopropyl alchohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. Sometimes it takes a bit more and then I use a soft bristle toothbrush and alchohol. It will frost the model, and leaving the model in the alchohol for an extended period can damage it.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: What solvents are safe for cleaning FUD? [message #41922 is a reply to message #41919 ] Sat, 14 January 2012 05:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar maketshi  is currently offline maketshi
Go to my shop
I hit my model with some 90% iso and a toothbrush, then hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper, and scrubbed it with the iso again.

They're looking pretty good now.

Went to mix up some silicone for a test, only to find out my silicone has gone bad.

Previous Topic:How do I print ceramic rings?
Next Topic:Inner volumes for specific styles of shapes