Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Introductions » Shapeways for science :)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways for science :) [message #41739] Thu, 12 January 2012 08:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sabine_A  is currently offline Sabine_A
Go to all my models
Hi all,
I'm quite new, though I already ordered some 3D-prints. I need those prints als moulds for my PhD project. I work on bio-inspired adhesion. Doesn't sound that fancy yet, right? So actually I should say that I spend four years (I live in The Netherlands, and in here, a PhD lasts 4 years)of my life trying to develop superior tape by trying to do the same trick as geckos use to climb walls.

Unfortunately, I'm really not good with computers. Yesterday I had to ask a guy what fps meant Embarassed ... So designing the mould was quite a challenge. I actually only needed half a torus, and found out that in FreeCAD there's this button 'create torus'. I was very proud of myself, but then I found out I couldn't upload and print the FreeCAD-design. So I contacted someone (SB3B) from this forum to help me out, and I'm very happy he did!

If everything is ok, I'll receive my prints within two weeks, and then I'll try to see if they are suitable for my purpose. And perhaps I'll try to get some designers to help me with the next mould I might need (it's a mould for an helix)....

Sabine

Re: Shapeways for science :) [message #41819 is a reply to message #41739 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 22:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Sabine, welcome!

That sounds like such a cool project. Please keep us in the loop.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Hello, An introduction
Next Topic:Hey (from Ireland)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.