Home » Support » 3D Design » Hole size between inner and outer shell
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41790] Thu, 12 January 2012 18:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar RicheyRose  is currently offline RicheyRose
Go to all my models
Hi all, I just got a white detail model rejected with the message: "internally hollow but no acces to remove support, do as a solid part or in SLS with 1mm wallthickness." It came with this image:

index.php?t=getfile&id=13293&private=0

The circled bits are the holes between the outer and inner shell which I put in to remove the support material. I'm assuming that the problem is they're too small to drain the whole model as the holes are only 1.7mm in diameter and are in the feet, while the model is about 10cm tall.

Below are pics of the inner shell and the whole model.

Inner shell:
index.php?t=getfile&id=13295&private=0

Outer shell:
index.php?t=getfile&id=13296&private=0

So, the question is how big and how many holes should I put in, and where do you think they should be?

This is my first model so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2012 19:57 UTC] by Moderator

Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41796 is a reply to message #41790 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Are the holes joined up to make a tunnel?

Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41799 is a reply to message #41796 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
yep. The mesh is manifold, and the normals are pointing in the right directions (at the air inside and out).
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41801 is a reply to message #41799 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What's the wall thickness?
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41803 is a reply to message #41801 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
0.7mm. Which rereading the material sheet is too thin for white detail. Doh.
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41804 is a reply to message #41790 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Might be good for WSF. I have Nancy on the case of drain hole requirements.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41805 is a reply to message #41804 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well, thickening it up and putting in a couple more holes won't hurt it and only takes five minutes. I kind of want to test out as many materials as possible with real models and have one with moving parts I'm working on now for my first WSF. Not too distressed as looking at the model again there's a couple of areas which could still use some work anyway. Hopefully Nancy will come back with some info as I'm going to be doing quite a lot of these kind of sculps. Cheers for you help!
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41806 is a reply to message #41790 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Have you thought about going with a solid model for FCS? or even just plain sandstone.

Fixed your last image for you.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 January 2012 19:57 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41809 is a reply to message #41806 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 20:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I might try that at some point. The only issue with the sandstone is that I reckon the tail and legs on the cat might be a bit delicate. I've got a couple of other ideas for models that would probably suit sandstone better. Also I like painting models in real life more than in the computer!
Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41813 is a reply to message #41790 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 20:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Those are my near term goals. Sandstone and Ceramic. I've also been thinking about painting them myself to add that personal flair to it. Then I'll have to find something to coat it with to make it stronger.

Re: Hole size between inner and outer shell [message #41815 is a reply to message #41813 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 20:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I'm aiming to work up to some increasingly complex automatons, so WSF is probably going to be my material of choice. I just fancied seeing what the others were like. Anyway time to sign off for the night, I'm knackered. Cheers for the help.

Previous Topic:Can't get the wall thickness right
Next Topic:Missing parts when uploading to shapeways. Help would be much appreciated!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.