Home »  » 3D Printing » minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41712] Wed, 11 January 2012 22:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar wasaad  is currently offline wasaad
Go to all my models
Hi,
If the 3D model has engraving (like in jewlery) , what is the minimum width of that engraving if the model is silver or steel (or any metal you work with for that matter) ?

Is it possible to produce the model in two colors (silver and gold) ? I am thinking of use a silver core and covered with gold color material, the engraving can produce 2 colors...

Thanks,
Was
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41718 is a reply to message #41712 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 00:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Please review the Silver Design Rules. That should answer your questions about depth/width.

Steel has separate design rules, and different limitations.

Gold is only offered as a plating option on steel, and no, you can't mix metals at this time.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41722 is a reply to message #41712 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 01:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Also, any "engraving" in the model won't show the stainless beneath the gold as it actually wouldn't be "engraved" it would be printed with the indentation and plated afterwards.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41782 is a reply to message #41712 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
In the SS material the lower limit for "engraved" lines or grooves is about 1mm /.040" in width. The depth of the lines should not exceed about 1.5mm/ 060". Try to maintain this wdth./ dpth porportion no matter what size of groove use use.

I have often thought that narrow 3d printed lines (grooves) could be back filled with contrasting metals. This however would still need to be done by hand but, spectacular results would be possible. Contrasting solders could be flowed into grooves or pockets on the design then the surfaces ground down to an even plane. Small diameter wire of brass, copper, silver, or gold could be hammered into narrow groves with the same result.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41788 is a reply to message #41782 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapeways stainless can be heat coloured and then raised areas ground/polished back to give good contrast - seeStainless Steel Dice - the gaps (note: gaps not engraving) are around 0.4mm.
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41795 is a reply to message #41788 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Gaps, lines, grooves will print at .4mm, maybe even finer than that. It's just that loose powder leftover from the print process can sometime remain lodged in random areas of the grooves making for less than perfect results. Also sometimes during bronze infiltration very narrow grooves can be drowned out. A lot depends on the overall design. A broad flat surface inscribed with a design or pattern composed of line widths less than .5mm is likely to have some flaws. Whether this is acceptable or not is up to the individual designer.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: minimum engraving thickness and 2 colors [message #41798 is a reply to message #41795 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 19:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Yes Glen, that's why I re-iterated gaps. You know me, pushing the boundaries and all that. Sorry, you know best working with the material every day (where's the green envious smiley Wink)

Previous Topic:Material and method advice needed
Next Topic:How do I print ceramic rings?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.