Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Why are ther two kind of sides
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why are ther two kind of sides [message #41711] Wed, 11 January 2012 22:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar gharryh  is currently offline gharryh
Go to my shop
I have cdreated a test object printed in black detail.
Sorry for the bad pic:
index.php?t=getfile&id=13285&private=0

But if look to there's a shine side and a dull side.
Is yhis due to the process and how can i make all four sides shine

• Attachment: Dscn4701s.jpg
    (Size: 33.78KB, Downloaded 251 time(s))

Re: Why are ther two kind of sides [message #41716 is a reply to message #41711 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 23:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
It's hard to tell from the picture but if it is uniform on each side then chances are it is from where the support material has been deposited during the printing process. As there is currently no way to specify print orientation this is an unavoidable problem. Only thing you can do is attempt to sand/polish the dull side to bring up its shine a bit.
Re: Why are ther two kind of sides [message #41779 is a reply to message #41711 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 16:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There may still be support material on the dull side. The support material is the same as the solid except not cured. You can remove the support material by soaking the model in a warm and mild caustic soda solution as follows.

1) Use 1/2 a litre of water at 40-50 celcius.
2) Add 2-3g (1/2 teaspoon) of NaOH granules (caustic soda / lye / draino) to the water and stir thoroughly until all of the granules are disolved.
3) Drop the model in and leave for 5 minutes - if the water is too hot, the plastic will soften, but even just boiled water does the plastic no harm and can be useful to re-shape the model.
4) If there are small crevices or ridges, use a soft brush to help remove the support material.
5) Finally rinse under cold running water.

You may need to repeat steps 3 to 5 to get an all over shiney finish.

Paul

Previous Topic:G2P-005 Chromehead is complete!
Next Topic:Raspberry Pi Case Bottom

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.