Home » Community » It arrived! » Dog Badge
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dog Badge [message #41527] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Hi,
I've made a customizable badge for all the beloved dogs out there. The pendant can be connected to the dog's collar. If the four-legged friend gets lost, the finder can call the owner by usinge the number written on the pendant. Hope this will prevent some tears! Wink
I was not sure about the font size but it works great with the stainless steel material.
Michael
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/410443/photos/photo60683.jpg
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/410443/photos/photo60903.jpg
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/410443/photos/photo60684.jpg

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Badge [message #41541 is a reply to message #41527 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
That came out well. And it's engraved deeply enough that it won't wear away, like other dog tags. It might be more obvious that it's a phone number if you put dashes in it, but I know that more space equals more material equals more money. Anyway, good job!

Bob D
(If dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go.)

bobd
Re: Dog Badge [message #41543 is a reply to message #41527 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 21:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar InCrafting  is currently offline InCrafting
Go to my shop
very nice done. By the way, Michael, I have some thoughts/offers as to your product. I hope to contact you mid next week as soon as I have some relevant prototypes.
bdeaver lol I like your statement about dog's heaven. Made my day Laughing
Re: Dog Badge [message #41595 is a reply to message #41527 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 09:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
bdeaver...
You are right, without a dash it's hard to recognize that this is a phone number. Thanks!
I've tried to make it small as possible cause "Erna" is also a small dog. Wink But there is certainly space for one or two more letters if the dog tag would be a little bigger.

InCrafting...
Thank you very much for your interest. Feedback is always welcome. Feel free to msg me.

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Badge [message #42054 is a reply to message #41595 ] Mon, 16 January 2012 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
How about tags with a QRC code? Hot link your pet with complete data.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Dog Badge [message #42062 is a reply to message #42054 ] Mon, 16 January 2012 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Glen,
this is a great idea. I've never used QRCs before but it seems they are already very common by using smartphones? I'm not sure about what would be the minimal size of it.
There are a few QR Code tags out there which seem to work nice, even with stainless steel. E.g. the "QR steel tag" from Dimmulain.
I'll do some research about this. This would certainly work for dog tags, too. Thanks!
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Dog Badge [message #42077 is a reply to message #42062 ] Tue, 17 January 2012 00:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
I'm not sure of the minimum size that would be readable. It has a lot to do with the medium in which the QRC is done. I have seen laser etched versions that are very tiny (1/4" square). The challenge for a 3dmp version will be determining how small you can go and still get the needed resolution to scan properly. I looked at the link to "Dimmulain". Notice that he is doing the post production finishing on these. For a printed QRC to scan well, the front surface must be ground perfectly flat. A belt sander with a flat platen surface makes this fairly easy to do. Coloring the recessed background a dark color (black) would also be helpful. Good luck with this but I think it could be a winner.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Dog Badge [message #42176 is a reply to message #42077 ] Wed, 18 January 2012 08:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar InCrafting  is currently offline InCrafting
Go to my shop
hahaha GlenG was the first to sound the idea that I wrote about on the 9th of January Very Happy

in fact, Dimmulain and InCrafting is the same person (but don´t tell anyone, it´s a secret! Razz ). The stainless steel QR-tag looks awesome, but costs too much for a tag, and all the more for a dog badge.

I re-designed it for sandstone color and I will have the first prototypes no later than tomorrow (hopefully).

By the way, I used to offer a two-piece tag - in WSF and BSF, that need to be assembled like a simple puzzle. I sold maybe like 10 of them, but then Shapeways started to reject the models, because of the tiny loose bits (1x1x3mm) Sad

Previous Topic:Loco Boiler
Next Topic:What happened here?