Home » Community » General Discussion » WSF wall thickness
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF wall thickness [message #41327] Fri, 06 January 2012 20:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar briancw  is currently offline briancw
Go to my shop
I've sure this question gets asked frequently but I did a search through the forum and their seemed to be a bit of inconsistancy between the guides for minimum wall thickness of swf. I'm building a fairl simple model comprised of all cubes (its like a minecraft creeper) and I'm not sure if I should go for 1mm, 1.5mm, or 2mm thickness. It's about 2 inches tall right now, but anything I could shave off in wall thickness I could add to its total size.
What thickness should I go for?
Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41333 is a reply to message #41327 ] Fri, 06 January 2012 21:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I just found this while looking for a definitive answer for you. There's a nifty calculator on this page for you! http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/wsf_bigparts

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41335 is a reply to message #41327 ] Fri, 06 January 2012 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar briancw  is currently offline briancw
Go to my shop
Thank you very much. Response time: Incredible.
So according to that, my largest cube, which is roughly 38mm x 16mm could have a wall thickness under 1mm. I'd be okay with using 1mm then?
Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41337 is a reply to message #41327 ] Fri, 06 January 2012 22:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If your longest side is 38mm you can go down to .7mm for WSF

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41361 is a reply to message #41327 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 09:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ancientbuzzard  is currently offline ancientbuzzard
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva

Not sure if it's just me, but is there a typo on the page you linked to?

...you should also add .006 millimeter ....

Shouldn't that be:

...you should also add 0.6 millimeter... ?

Not sure who's the best to notify on this, so could you pass it on for me if I'm right?

Thanks

Andrew
Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41415 is a reply to message #41327 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 22:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
No, it's right. For every mm above 117 you should add .006mm of wall thickness. At 118mm long your walls should be at least .706 and so on.

Re: WSF wall thickness [message #41487 is a reply to message #41327 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 07:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ancientbuzzard  is currently offline ancientbuzzard
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva

Thanks for that. I'd misunderstood the page. Just not used to working with such small measurements! Smile

Andrew

Previous Topic:Quick question on WSF polished
Next Topic:Results of a fast and detailed desktop printer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.