Home » Community » Introductions » Student designer here to learn!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Student designer here to learn! [message #41354] Sat, 07 January 2012 04:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar crabigailrose  is currently offline crabigailrose
Go to all my models
Hi!

I am an Industrial Design student who just learned about 3D printing. I found this site while doing research for a project so really I am just here to learn as much as I can about the materials and processes used for 3D printing.

~Ara
Re: Student designer here to learn! [message #41406 is a reply to message #41354 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Great! When I was studying ID the only 3d printing solutions were very pricey for student work. Many schools now have at least one type of printer, usually an FDM machine. Those are great for functional models but not as great with finish or detail. With so many material options, Shapeways is a great solution for someone wanting to prototype a design or even develop final products specifically for additive manufacture.

Be sure to share your results with others in your program, and consider requesting that your professors seek more information through the Shapeways Educational Program.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Student designer here to learn! [message #41428 is a reply to message #41406 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 05:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crabigailrose  is currently offline crabigailrose
Go to all my models
yeah, our department has an FDM machine but it doesn't print with very high resolution. It's still pretty cool though!!!! There's a rapid prototyping place in town that has much nicer technology, we took a field trip and saw all kinds of printing in action. It was really interesting, 3d printing seems to be a great resource for an industrial designer.

Previous Topic:Hello All. Help Required.
Next Topic:Just Started! Just uploaded a model! :] ALSO QUESTION?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.