Home » Support » 3D Design » Tiny chess set?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tiny chess set? [message #41356] Sat, 07 January 2012 05:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar morganwk  is currently offline morganwk
Go to all my models
I am thinking about making a tiny chess set (Because this stuff is so extremely expensive) And I was thinking, how small could I get a chess set?
1x1 in.? 1.5x1.5? 2x2? I want it to be as cheap as possible. Do you think something that small would work with the white and black strong & flexibles?
Re: Tiny chess set? [message #41362 is a reply to message #41356 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 10:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
For individual models, you can get as small as a 2.5mm cube (approx 1/10 in), but if you make all of the pieces within a cage you can go smaller - right down to the 0.7mm minimum wall thickness for S&F, however you wouldn't be able to get much detail on such small peices and they wouldn't be very practical for playing with.

I'd go for a size that's both priced right for you and a easy size to play with. To get the price down, you can make the pieces hollow and include all the pieces in a cage as one model so you only get one setup fee instead of 16 or 32.

Re: Tiny chess set? [message #41402 is a reply to message #41362 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar morganwk  is currently offline morganwk
Go to all my models
What do you mean by in a cage?
If I could get them really small, I could print out a silver and gold set...
I was thinking of playing with tweezers Smile
Re: Tiny chess set? [message #41408 is a reply to message #41402 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 20:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Make a model of a cage to enclose the loose pieces within - will not work for any of the stainless variations, silver or ceramic... but will work with any of the strong & flexibles.

Don't forget to include 2 sets of tweezers with your model so that you can have a fair match Wink

Previous Topic:Durability, economy design
Next Topic:no colour in blender exports