Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Trouble with file size for high detail model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41365] Sat, 07 January 2012 11:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar silentrage  is currently offline silentrage
Go to my shop
Hi yall, I just signed up here and was really excited about printing some of my designs, but alas it seems I can't upload anything bigger than 65mb, and it's not even letting me upload zip files containing a .stl file bigger than 65mb, and most of the models I have done are quite a bit bigger than that.

Is there a possible work around for this? or am I doing something wrong with the zip?

I also have problems with making the mesh hollow. I took a test mesh, which is basically a box, and extruded it inward for 2-3 units or so, and I uploaded this version along with the solid version, they both cost exactly the same: way too much!

Is there a way to properly hollow out a mesh in maya?
I read some posts on here and found out about the meshLab method, which I'll try as well, but it'd be nice if I can do everything in maya.

Help much appreciated!

These are the models I'm attempting to print btw.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/4585/3dmetalslug2.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7006/3dxcalon5.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 12:03 UTC]

Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41375 is a reply to message #41365 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
Hi silentrage,

I am not sure about your file size problem, however for your hollow mesh problem are you creating an opening from your hollow inner section to the 'outside world'? If there is no escape hole your model will still be considered solid which would explain why both models are costing the same.

Hope that helps a bit.
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41376 is a reply to message #41365 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
The maximum file size is 64Mb. It says so on the Upload page.

Bill Bedford
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41377 is a reply to message #41365 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
You reached the file size limit ? ô.Ô
Wow...

Hey, what's the actual polygon count for this model ?
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41378 is a reply to message #41365 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi silentrage,

For the same model, an STL binary file is always a smaller filesize than an STL ascii file - which did you save in?

You can double zip files too... iirc the largest file I've managed to get uploaded was over 100MB, but double zipped got the filesize size below the maximum... though things might have changed since then.

Paul
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41395 is a reply to message #41378 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks kass, so that's how hollowing out works, that helps me quite a bit! This will no doubt impact the mesh in some ways, but better than paying 100 bucks for a 6 inch figure i think. Razz

one model is 300k tris, the other is 700k tris, like I said I can zip it so they're much much smaller than 65mb but the system seems to be systematically rejecting all my zip files, which is why I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with them.

stop4stuff
I'm using a simple mel script to export .stl, I figure it must be ascii because the files are stupidly large, but the script doesn't come with an option to save in binary, is there an utility out there that converts ascii to binary?
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41400 is a reply to message #41395 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Far below the limit, so a polygon reduction is neither necessary nor useful.

netfabb can export as binary STL, and it's also useful for checking & repairing the files.
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41405 is a reply to message #41400 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, i know what i did wrong now, I didn't realize stls came in two flavors, I used meshlab to convert the stls to binary and they're about 1/4 the size, which is good enough for now.

Cheers!
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41421 is a reply to message #41405 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 01:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Follow up question, is there a way to rename your model once it's been uploaded?
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41422 is a reply to message #41421 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 01:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yep, go to the model page, click edit page (upper right above materials) so that 'on' is displayed, then click on the title (above your model images), change it & hit return.

Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41424 is a reply to message #41422 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 03:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I decided to look at active threads while I'm waiting for a 980k polygon upload to work its way through the validation system. It would be nice to have a higher polygon/file since the standard output from Solidworks on a detailed model for FUD easily exceeds the 1 million polygon count, and that's nothing compared to standard Z-brush files.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41426 is a reply to message #41424 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 04:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I noticed you can get about a 15x compression if you use a output a binary stl then zip it with winrar.

If that doesn't get you there decimation master in zbrush could help.

Failing THAT, just wait a year and I'm shapeway will most likely have bigger servers and a higher file size limit, or some other online print shop will open that does. Razz
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41436 is a reply to message #41424 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 10:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You could follow the workaroud as described on http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/564-How-To-3D-Print-H igh-Polygon-Models-with-Shapeways.html to get past the 1,000,000 triangle limit.

Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41464 is a reply to message #41436 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That info is outdated I think, because i was able to upload a 1.9 million triangle model.
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41468 is a reply to message #41464 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ooo... so I tried it....
1,473,600 triangle model... and...
Quote:

Unfortunately, we were unable to convert your model, because there is not enough memory available for this process right now.
This usually means that your model is too complex or has too many triangles or shells our system can handle right now. Please adjust your model.

it was a simple ball, 40mm diameter
?
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41472 is a reply to message #41468 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 21:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh I'm sorry I TRIED to upload it at 2x subdiv, which is nearly 2 mil, and it failed, so I actually did upload it at 1x subdiv which is 500k tris.
Sorry Razz
Re: Trouble with file size for high detail model [message #41475 is a reply to message #41472 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 21:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
no worries, occasionally, unexpected things happen, this time it wasn't to be - hey ho

Previous Topic:no colour in blender exports
Next Topic:how do u print in full colour sand stone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.