Home » Support » 3D Printing » my size is doubling...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
my size is doubling... [message #41162] Wed, 04 January 2012 00:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar dantedamean  is currently offline dantedamean
Go to my shop
I made my model in maya 2012, I used Multitool to export it as a STL at about .8 w x .8 d x 5.5 h . When I uploaded it my model I chose inches. Once my model was on the server it jumped to 2.1 w x 14.1 d x 2.1 h 4. I tried it 2 times as a STL and once as a OBJ. Sad

any one have any idea as to why this is happening? Im going to try and delete history on the model and clean up the scene a bit.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 January 2012 07:21 UTC]

Re: my size is doubling... [message #41176 is a reply to message #41162 ] Wed, 04 January 2012 10:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Since the sizes differ by approximately 25. I would look at the possibility that you have entered the wrong units on the upload page.

Bill Bedford
Re: my size is doubling... [message #41181 is a reply to message #41162 ] Wed, 04 January 2012 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
"The STL export now supports an individual scale factor that will be applied prior to exporting the scene. (...) This compensates for some problems that might occur when importing the STL file into another application that interprets "units" different from Maya. The scale factor can be found in the export options."

Which scale factor did you use ?

And are your sure you exported the STL in "imperial units" ?
Re: my size is doubling... [message #41190 is a reply to message #41162 ] Wed, 04 January 2012 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Just to be sure, when looking at your dimensions, did you click on the inch button? the default is to show the dimensions in cm.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: my size is doubling... [message #41224 is a reply to message #41190 ] Thu, 05 January 2012 00:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
When not logged, it can default to inches (*sigh* but prices are cm3 based, materials' pages talk about cm limits...) After changing it, then it remembers via cookies/account.
Re: my size is doubling... [message #41433 is a reply to message #41181 ] Sun, 08 January 2012 08:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dantedamean  is currently offline dantedamean
Go to my shop
pfeiffer stylez wrote on Wed, 04 January 2012 11:47

"The STL export now supports an individual scale factor that will be applied prior to exporting the scene. (...) This compensates for some problems that might occur when importing the STL file into another application that interprets "units" different from Maya. The scale factor can be found in the export options."

Which scale factor did you use ?

And are your sure you exported the STL in "imperial units" ?

I dont know how to have it export in imperial units, im using MultiTool and i dont see the option to do this.

Quote:

Just to be sure, when looking at your dimensions, did you click on the inch button? the default is to show the dimensions in cm.

I have maya set to inches and Ive tried to upload multiple times with the 3 units of measurement that are available.

Quote:

When not logged, it can default to inches (*sigh* but prices are cm3 based, materials' pages talk about cm limits...) After changing it, then it remembers via cookies/account.

Im not sure what you mean? And I dont have firefox save cookies it wipes every time I close the browser.

Previous Topic:What type of machine used for 3d printing?
Next Topic:Too expensive??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.