Home » Community » Introductions » Hello All. Help Required.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon7.gif  Hello All. Help Required. [message #41137] Tue, 03 January 2012 18:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar copperpot21  is currently offline copperpot21
Go to all my models
Hello everyone!

I'm a Structural Technician. I use autocad, and have recently been using 3D Autocad. I am currently working on a project that would look really impressive if i could print it out.

I'm currently using autocad 2010.

This is my problem:

I've exported my 3D Drawing and converted it into a .stl (Lithography) file.

I've also download Mesh lab v1.3.1 and imported the mesh.

I'm having problems uploading the file as the scale is out!!

Can somebody please be kind enough to show me the error of my ways.

I will attach the .stl file.

I am also using milimetres!! is this a problem?

The actual dimensions are L8990mm x W2990mm x H880mm.

I am trying to get it to a scale of 1:50.

Much appreciated

Kind regards,

Trevor

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2012 19:14 UTC]

Re: Hello All. Help Required. [message #41139 is a reply to message #41137 ] Tue, 03 January 2012 18:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
So you want it to be 8890mm long? If I'm not mistaken that is too long for any of the Shapeways printers.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hello All. Help Required. [message #41143 is a reply to message #41139 ] Tue, 03 January 2012 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 03 January 2012 18:40

So you want it to be 8890mm long? If I'm not mistaken that is too long for any of the Shapeways printers.

Sorry my message was a bit rushed as i was finishing up at work. I'm trying to get it down to a scale of 1:50. Razz

Cheers
Re: Hello All. Help Required. [message #41267 is a reply to message #41143 ] Thu, 05 January 2012 15:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Mhh...
I've no idea what went wrong (I work with Inventor, and I use millimetres all the time... I just use netfabb instead of MeshLab to check the files), but it's pretty simple to resize STL's with Blender.

Import your STL, then press "N" (to open the menue), apply a factor of 0,02 to all three axis for the scale, delete the old (huge) mesh and export the remaining smaller mesh as STL.

Re: Hello All. Help Required. [message #41397 is a reply to message #41267 ] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:05 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
pfeiffer stylez wrote on Thu, 05 January 2012 15:52

Mhh...
I've no idea what went wrong (I work with Inventor, and I use millimetres all the time... I just use netfabb instead of MeshLab to check the files), but it's pretty simple to resize STL's with Blender.

Import your STL, then press "N" (to open the menue), apply a factor of 0,02 to all three axis for the scale, delete the old (huge) mesh and export the remaining smaller mesh as STL.

Cheers for your help. I've managed to do it using netfabb.

Kind Regards.

Trevor Child

Previous Topic:Hey everybody!
Next Topic:Student designer here to learn!