Home » Support » 3D Printing » Unexpected ridge on printed parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41041] Mon, 02 January 2012 06:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar fasaxc  is currently offline fasaxc
Go to my shop
Hi,

Some of the models I recently had printed came with an unexpected ridge on some of the flat faces. Here's an example:

index.php?t=getfile&id=13052&private=0

The ridge doesn't appear in my original SketchUp file (which I exported to stl via the stl plugin) and I can't see it in the 3D render of my pieces: http://www.shapeways.com/model/411990/carcassonne_accessory_ pieces.html?gid=ug

Overall, I can live with the defect but it'd be good to know if there's something wrong with the 3D model I made or whether I should expect that sort of defect even if the model was OK.

Thanks,

-Shaun

• Attachment: DSC_9781.JPG
    (Size: 254.26KB, Downloaded 143 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 02 January 2012 06:05 UTC]

Re: Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41061 is a reply to message #41041 ] Mon, 02 January 2012 14:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
This means that the flat face was printed at a slight angle to the build plate and it is a normal defect.
This could be because the production people wrongly oriented the part but they usually shouldn't do that. It probably is because you drew the face a at a slight angle, try to check in your software that it is aligned with the axis system.
Re: Unexpected ridge on printed parts [message #41069 is a reply to message #41061 ] Mon, 02 January 2012 16:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fasaxc  is currently offline fasaxc
Go to my shop
Ah, that sounds plausible. The opposite side isn't 100% flat by design so if they oriented using that then it'd end up printed at a slight angle.

Previous Topic:Material weight?
Next Topic:Stainless Steel Accuracy?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.