Home » Support » 3D Printing » Steel stamps for metal?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Steel stamps for metal? [message #40618] Thu, 22 December 2011 01:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar zigraphix  is currently offline zigraphix
Go to all my models
There are plenty of places to get steel stamps for jewelry making, e.g. http://www.steelstampsinc.com/products_jewelry_design.html but while one can find the Latin alphabet, Arabic numerals, and punctuation (as well as an amazing variety of little pictures), I need some in non-Latin fonts. Could I print these through Shapeways, or would the granularity not be fine enough? Would the steel be strong enough?
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #40624 is a reply to message #40618 ] Thu, 22 December 2011 04:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know about the strength, but if you check the materials page it says that the minimum detail thickness is 1mm.

That is considerably thicker than the thinest parts of most letters, regardless of the font you choose.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #40669 is a reply to message #40624 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 00:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It would certainly limit how small a font I could use, and I'd need to go with a font style like Arial or Helvetica. But I could probably still get some use out of this if the stamp itself will hold up to being hammered against a sheet of copper or brass.
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #40996 is a reply to message #40669 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 16:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The short answer is NO. The printed stainless is not hard enough to stand up to repeated hammer impact. This material is more like cast iron rather than steel when comparing strength and hardness.
There are however companies that can and will create custom steel stamps using your own artwork. Meaning, ANY design or font is possible. I believe this is done by photoetching the design onto the end of a tool steel blank. All that is required is a high contrast 2d drawing. The only problem being, it might be rather expensive to create an entire custom alphabet.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #41004 is a reply to message #40618 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 23:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok, thanks. That's what I needed to know.
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #41028 is a reply to message #41004 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 20:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Here are a couple of other manufacturures to check out:

http://www.harpermfg.com/index.html

http://www.infinitystamps.com/

http://steelhandstamps.com/product_line.html

Good luck and Happy New Year

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Steel stamps for metal? [message #41031 is a reply to message #41028 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 21:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks, I already have a request for a quote in to a stamp manufacturer.

Meanwhile, I'm going to use Art Silver Clay for my immediate project, which I can shape and then fire here to get a solid silver piece.

Previous Topic:Prehistoric Pictograph Printing Tutorial
Next Topic:Material weight?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.