Home » Community » General Discussion » New to design and need input re: tolerances
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New to design and need input re: tolerances [message #41009] Sun, 01 January 2012 06:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar SporkInTucson  is currently offline SporkInTucson
Go to all my models
Hi,

This is my first post here and I hope somebody can help with this design question or point me to a good web page or book. I've designed what looks like a pretty boring box -- at least on the outside:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2iae4v5.jpg

Sorry, the box is laying on it's side. The lid (tan color) slides into place by slotting into rails on the top of the box body. What I'm wondering is "How much slack should I leave between the lid and the inside of the rails so that the lid will stay in place but not be too hard to force shut?"

The lid is about 117mm long. I guess the force required to get it into place will be a function of it's length, the material used when I print it, and how much slack I leave. I've arbitrarily chosen .05mm, for now, as shown below.

http://i39.tinypic.com/10oh7ht.jpg

Any suggestions? By the way, I won't print this with the lid in place.

Re: New to design and need input re: tolerances [message #41012 is a reply to message #41009 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 09:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
0.05mm is going to be way too little and it will be impossible to get the lid on. From my experience (with WSF), you would need at least 0.15mm but at this size you may need more.
Re: New to design and need input re: tolerances [message #41020 is a reply to message #41012 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SporkInTucson  is currently offline SporkInTucson
Go to all my models
Thanks. I think I'll up it to 0.15 and I guess I'll sand the lid down for a better fit if that's still not enough.

Previous Topic:Quality issues with FUD
Next Topic:'Default material' selector - provisional hotfix

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.