Home » Support » Bug Reporting » I need better packaging
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I need better packaging [message #40950] Fri, 30 December 2011 18:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I'm have a real problem with my FUD prints being damaged in transit by the stiff zip-lock bags. FUD is soft when I receive it, I assume due to the remaining solvent from the wax removal process. This allows the bags to deform the prints while in transit. Then it quickly becomes brittle, often breaking when I try to strong-arm the prints back into shape. Can this process be improved?

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: I need better packaging [message #40952 is a reply to message #40950 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 18:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Don't strongarm the prints. The material soften in hot water, sometimes it will go back to it's original shape by itself and sometimes it needs holding in place as it cools.

Bill Bedford
Re: I need better packaging [message #40955 is a reply to message #40952 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
It doesn't seem reasonable for me to ask my customers to put their items in hot water with the hopes that they return to shape.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: I need better packaging [message #40998 is a reply to message #40950 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 18:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Scout_II@hotmail.com  is currently offline Scout_II@hotmail.com
Go to my shop
Reshaping stuff isn't really that new. I know it has long been common for resin products. I expect to have minor warping of thin parts, and the process of reforming it is pretty straight forward. I know I have never put together a resin train car kit (or tank, plane, boat, figure...) that did not have at least one warped part that needed heating and straightening.

Brittleness isn't something that I have experienced, at least not from thicker parts. Exceptionally fine details (0.3 mm diameter wires for example) are definitely delicate - but no more so than any other plastic of similar size.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 December 2011 18:39 UTC]

Re: I need better packaging [message #41029 is a reply to message #40998 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 20:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Amen:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=7484&a mp;start=0&

The new bubble wrap is way too rigid and ends up warping thin parts - especially when two or more items are shipped together.. Shapeways needs to go back to using peanuts and more flexible bubble wrap or try placing all the small delicate items (each one in individual bubble wrap envelopes) inside a chipboard box like this:

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-5801/Specialty-Boxes/3- 1-2-x-10-x-2-Business-Card-Boxes

then wrap the new rigid bubble wrap around the box. As long as there's enough bubble wrap inside the box to keep the parts separated and in their initial position they should arrive in better shape.

Previous Topic:How to spoil Christmas
Next Topic:no model download with firefox

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.