Home » Community » General Discussion » WSF "not suitable for molding"?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #40928] Fri, 30 December 2011 11:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar maketshi  is currently offline maketshi
Go to my shop
I want to make silicone molds from my parts, is that not practical with WSF? Why is WSF not suitable for molding?

Could I use a sealer or primer to resolve this issue?

Are all the other materials fine for molding?

Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #40931 is a reply to message #40928 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Any of the WSF materials would have to be sealed before using for a mold. They are very porous so you probably wouldn't be able to easily remove the silicon. I'd say any of the Detail materials would be better, but you may still need to polish, and maybe a light sealing to get any crevasses that are in the model.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #40983 is a reply to message #40931 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
It really depends what you intend for your castings.
I have made many silicone moulds from WSF , some sealed and polished , others just as it comes.
I havent experienced any problems removing patterns from moulds but I would be very careful if using FUD.
I have had several sticky uncured spots whch I believe to be poisoning from the support media , or loose print material.
No amount of washing and scrubbing has cured this problem and I have literally had to scrape each surface before spray painting with primer.
After consultation with my rubber supplier I have now found a satisfactory solution.
Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #40984 is a reply to message #40983 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 11:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah, I was worried about poisoning the silicone.

What was the solution you found?
Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #40995 is a reply to message #40984 ] Sat, 31 December 2011 16:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar abby  is currently offline abby
Go to all my models
Over 20 years or so I have tried many types of rubber including natural , polysulphide and urethane but have found silicone to be the most generally useful from a cost and convenience perspective.
Some of my moulds are many years old and still good enough to use
Having used silicone rubber from every major manufacturer , and here's a tip , most will give you a free 1 kg sample , if they won't then don't buy it.
I have settled with Dow Silastic M.
This is a clear silicone that cures in 8-12 hours and , up to now , shows good resistance to poisoning.
One drawback is that you must allow lots of room during degassing as it expands twice as much as any other I have used.
Even after degassing there will be one or two reluctant air bubbles so fill moulds very gently from a corner , allowing the flow to cover the master and prick any that might adhere because they don't want to rise easily.
Dan.
Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #41005 is a reply to message #40995 ] Sun, 01 January 2012 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Unfortunately, I don't have any degassing equipment. This is a kitchen table scale project. I've been using OOMOO 25 from Smooth-on because it doesn't need degassing, and can be demolded in 75 minutes..

Re: WSF "not suitable for molding"? [message #42383 is a reply to message #41005 ] Fri, 20 January 2012 22:43 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
New FUD parts arrived last week.

Tried a thin test coat of OOMOO 25 silicone to check for cure inhibition. There was none as far as I could tell, but the silicone was kind of clingy to the porous FUD surface. I'm going to do another test today using a mold release.

Previous Topic:Good material?
Next Topic:Add to cart not working!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.