Home » Community » Work in progress » Will my Minecraft sandstone model break?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40778] Tue, 27 December 2011 04:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar MisterFro9  is currently offline MisterFro9
Go to all my models
Hi, I have no 3D Modelling experience what so ever.
And I live in Australia, so postage is $20, so i want to keep the cost of my models down.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/edit/417989/

The walls are 2mm thick, and so i can buy it at roughly $20.
I lightly read though the design rules, and wasn't quite sure if it would break or not.

I made a 4mm thick version, but that costs about $12 more, and I really am on a budget.

If anyone could possibly help me that would be fantastic.
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40792 is a reply to message #40778 ] Tue, 27 December 2011 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Internal struts can increase the strength significantly, with a minimal amount of additional volume.

• Attachment: L4.png
    (Size: 82.58KB, Downloaded 128 time(s))

Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40841 is a reply to message #40792 ] Wed, 28 December 2011 00:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MisterFro9  is currently offline MisterFro9
Go to all my models
thanks, much appreciated Smile
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40846 is a reply to message #40841 ] Wed, 28 December 2011 02:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mary.Huang  is currently offline Mary.Huang
Go to my shop
I work here
Cool model!

Also a lot of people who get the full color prints do some post-processing themselves afterwards.
Some people use a coat of spray varnish, which I believe also helps the strength.
(Anyone have experience to share?)

Sandstone models are best for display purposes. But if you get a little breakage, you can use superglue to fix.
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40860 is a reply to message #40846 ] Wed, 28 December 2011 15:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The coat(s) of (clear) varnish should be very thin - otherwise it would look sleazy - so they don't affect the breaking strength.

But a coat of varnish protects the surface from scratches, and since FCS' colors are not waterproof it's HIGHLY RECOMMEND (!!!) to seal FCS models.
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40866 is a reply to message #40860 ] Wed, 28 December 2011 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
They coat FCS with cyanoacrylate, but still not waterproof?
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40868 is a reply to message #40866 ] Wed, 28 December 2011 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
...from the FCS material page:

"One thing to call out, our full color creations do not play well with water. The colors used is similar to Inkjet Printer coloring, which fades when wet. The same principles apply. Check out this photo. The original color was a sky blue (as represented in the lower right of the photo), after we dipped the model in water the blue faded and whitened."
Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40892 is a reply to message #40866 ] Thu, 29 December 2011 16:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Wed, 28 December 2011 18:50

They coat FCS with cyanoacrylate, but still not waterproof?

(a little bit googel-ing about cyanoacrylate later...)

"Superglue react with atmospheric moisture to cure, but the bonds themselves are not waterproof., Ie, water with or without soap will dissolve the adhesive."

Source: Pattex

[Updated on: Thu, 29 December 2011 16:43 UTC]

Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #40902 is a reply to message #40892 ] Thu, 29 December 2011 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
cyanoacrylate aka CA aka superglue = warm water to seperate bonded fingers etc.

Re: Will my Minecraft sandstone model break? [message #42498 is a reply to message #40778 ] Sun, 22 January 2012 16:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar devinatkin  is currently offline devinatkin
Go to my shop
Porbably not. I made one that was MUCH thinner and it didnt break. however expect 1 or 2 blocks to break off on the endges. On mine a single block jutting out as a spire broke off but it did not detract from the appearance of the model

Previous Topic:Bistable auxetic
Next Topic:New Dice designs..

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.