Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » How much out can different materials be?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How much out can different materials be? [message #40698] Fri, 23 December 2011 17:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar RuggedBear  is currently offline RuggedBear
Go to all my models
I am currently in the middle of a projet watch part and received my first "prototype" made from WSF in night black. I was impressed with the overall outcome, but the night black was more dark grey. I have just got a message back from my test pilot saying that

"It can be made to fit, but its a little tight around the lugs, so a half mill will have to be shaved off here and there"

If the design was a 1:1 copy should I expect these problems? Would I get a different result if it was in stainless steel or would it be the same tolerence?

Thanks for any help

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/shuntermonkey/391191v0s17convertlarge.jpg

Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40700 is a reply to message #40698 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'd read down this extensive detail of deviations in the design rules for WSF http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/design_rules_for_3d_print ing
Each material has different tolerances, stainless is less likely to be exact or even 2 prints be exactly the same because it's a 2 step process with printing and infusing. Stainless is accurate to 2mm from it's design rules http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40708 is a reply to message #40700 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 22:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So WSF is the better of the two materials? Hmm I may have to review my process and go for an injection mould or something. I am looking at a run of about 100 prints of 4 different parts (not all at once) so for me to adjust each one is going to be time consuming.

I need it to have a smooth finish and for it to be strong and accurate. Is there any other options?

Thanks for any help

Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40709 is a reply to message #40698 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 23:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The most accurate would be Frosted Ultra Detail. It should have a smooth finish. There have been problems lately with ribbed surfaces, but from what I've heard that the problem is being solved.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40712 is a reply to message #40709 ] Sat, 24 December 2011 00:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks for that. I will give that a go. Hopefully I can find my solution with shapeways.

Suggestions are most welcome Smile

Previous Topic:Geared D6
Next Topic:Disappearing Model Letters

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.