Home » Community » Work in progress » How much out can different materials be?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How much out can different materials be? [message #40698] Fri, 23 December 2011 17:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar RuggedBear  is currently offline RuggedBear
Go to all my models
I am currently in the middle of a projet watch part and received my first "prototype" made from WSF in night black. I was impressed with the overall outcome, but the night black was more dark grey. I have just got a message back from my test pilot saying that

"It can be made to fit, but its a little tight around the lugs, so a half mill will have to be shaved off here and there"

If the design was a 1:1 copy should I expect these problems? Would I get a different result if it was in stainless steel or would it be the same tolerence?

Thanks for any help

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/shuntermonkey/391191v0s17convertlarge.jpg

Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40700 is a reply to message #40698 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I'd read down this extensive detail of deviations in the design rules for WSF http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/design_rules_for_3d_print ing
Each material has different tolerances, stainless is less likely to be exact or even 2 prints be exactly the same because it's a 2 step process with printing and infusing. Stainless is accurate to 2mm from it's design rules http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40708 is a reply to message #40700 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 22:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
So WSF is the better of the two materials? Hmm I may have to review my process and go for an injection mould or something. I am looking at a run of about 100 prints of 4 different parts (not all at once) so for me to adjust each one is going to be time consuming.

I need it to have a smooth finish and for it to be strong and accurate. Is there any other options?

Thanks for any help

Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40709 is a reply to message #40698 ] Fri, 23 December 2011 23:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The most accurate would be Frosted Ultra Detail. It should have a smooth finish. There have been problems lately with ribbed surfaces, but from what I've heard that the problem is being solved.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How much out can different materials be? [message #40712 is a reply to message #40709 ] Sat, 24 December 2011 00:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks for that. I will give that a go. Hopefully I can find my solution with shapeways.

Suggestions are most welcome Smile

Previous Topic:Geared D6
Next Topic:Disappearing Model Letters