Home »  » 3D Printing » How do I define the size of an object?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How do I define the size of an object? [message #40626] Thu, 22 December 2011 05:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sand3  is currently offline Sand3
Go to all my models
I'm working with Blender and I don't know how Blender units correspond to inches or cm. Is size something I'll define during the upload process here or is it something that I need to have somehow built into my model?
Re: How do I define the size of an object? [message #40758 is a reply to message #40626 ] Mon, 26 December 2011 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pongstak1  is currently offline pongstak1
Go to my shop
I use Sketchup instead of Blender. However, I imagine Blender might be able to export STL? If so, then you can use NetFabb to scale your STL to the right dimensions. Later, when you upload your STL to Shapeways, you can specify units (e.g., mm or inches). If Blender can't export STL, then you might need to export a format that Meshlab can change into STL. For example, Sketchup doesn't export STL, but it exports DAE, which I convert to STL using Meshlab. It's a quirky hodge-podge of tools to upload a 3D model, but, compared to the time to make the model itself, it's not a hassle.

pongstak1
Re: How do I define the size of an object? [message #40765 is a reply to message #40758 ] Mon, 26 December 2011 20:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
A blender unit is subdivided into 10 units, which is good for metric sizes. There seems to be no problem using mm when you export to STL, as long as you consider a BU a 1mmx1mm sized area, and remember to rotate the model where its Y axis is aligned to the Z global axis.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:accurately printable dimensions
Next Topic:Printing with Solder and other conductives

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.