Home » Community » General Discussion » Couple of how too questions...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Couple of how too questions... [message #40625] Thu, 22 December 2011 05:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
couple questions for you shapie vets out there. I understand that we can't have non-manifold geo, but how about interpenetrating geometry? For instance, if I want a threaded post protruding out of the back of character, can I simply take my threaded model and push it into my object and clean up anything excess geo on the inside? Will this work correctly and pass the Shapeways initial upload check?

And what about moving parts? I saw the animated angel but I thought I read somewhere that we're not supposed to upload objects with very small tolerances or bridges?

Help?

thanks everyone.

P.
Re: Couple of how too questions... [message #40632 is a reply to message #40625 ] Thu, 22 December 2011 10:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi and Welcome to Shapeways!

Interpenetrating geometry should work ok, just make sure there's no faces on the same plane that share the same space. One of the most important tools you can have is NetFabb (the Basic version is free) - generally as long as the model looks good in NetFabb, it will upload to Shapeways ok.

For moving parts it depends upon the material, general rule of thumb is moving parts are fine in plastics. You'll find more info about sizing and spacing via the Materials page

Paul

Previous Topic:Default material option
Next Topic:Ever get someone elses parts?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.