Home » Support » 3D Applications » empty output issue
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
empty output issue [message #40561] Wed, 21 December 2011 03:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar 514009265  is currently offline 514009265
Go to all my models
Hi, I'm new to shapeways and I wanted to print out a ring, I uploaded a prototype of my ring (because it was unfinished), in multiple file formats to shapeways and they all gave the same error, empty output. But when I checked my model, all the normals are correct and I made sure to use a boolean operation on all parts. And finally, I used Netfabb to check and repair my ring. it came out correct, with no bad edges, 1 shell, no holes, positive volume, surface is closed, surface is orientable, and I exported it from Netfabb and uploaded it again. It still gave the same error, empty output.
I'm running out of ideas here, can someone here just take a quick look at my file and tell me what is wrong with it?

Re: empty output issue [message #40562 is a reply to message #40561 ] Wed, 21 December 2011 05:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm not sure how you managed it, but it looks like every triangle here faces both outward and inward.. essentially, your ring is hollow, with a wall thickness of zero. The net volume of the whole thing is zero.

What did you draw this with? Also, what are the dimensions?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 December 2011 06:22 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: empty output issue [message #40572 is a reply to message #40562 ] Wed, 21 December 2011 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
it was done in 3dsmax 2011, I'm not sure how it became like that, could be the export settings, I need to check 3ds's STL export settings.
this was my first time exporting to STL.

the dimensions are 21.017mm 6.228mm and 21.193mm in 3ds max, with a volume of 0.31cm3

edit: I checked the stl file in 3ds max , I didn't see any 2 side faces.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 December 2011 13:15 UTC]

Re: empty output issue [message #40578 is a reply to message #40572 ] Wed, 21 December 2011 14:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The software exported your file in units of INCHES instead of millimeters.

There are three ways to fix this:
1) Convince your software to export in millimeters
2) Open the STL in Netfabb-Basic and use the command Part/Scale to increase it by a factor of 25.4
3) On the Shapeways Upload page, select Inches.

Note: you'll want to use only ONE of these methods to fix it Very Happy

I don't use that particular software package, but I think somewhere else here on the forum, someone else had the same problem.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: empty output issue [message #40602 is a reply to message #40578 ] Wed, 21 December 2011 22:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
thanks a lot, that solved it.

Previous Topic:After uploading a file from thingoverse or sketchup, I can't manipulate the individual parts.
Next Topic:UVW texture appearing wrong when uploaded?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.