Home »  » It arrived! » Flattening warped FD
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Flattening warped FD [message #40515] Tue, 20 December 2011 00:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
This arrived today:
index.php?t=getfile&id=12833&private=0
It was packed vertically instead of being laid flat on the bottom of the box. Can FD be flattened out with heat like resin parts?

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2011 03:31 UTC]

Re: Flattening warped FD [message #40519 is a reply to message #40515 ] Tue, 20 December 2011 03:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
A little heat and pressure do the trick!
index.php?t=getfile&id=12834&private=0
The right side is still slightly lifted but not enough to cause problems. The upper door track will need to be squeezed between a pair of machinist's squares when it's glued down to make it perfectly straight.

I set it on my FUD oven ( http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=5 438&goto=38272#msg_38272 ) and it quickly began to flatten out. I finished up by placing a pair of machinist's squares on top to make it perfectly flat.

When I first opened the box and saw how badly the part was warped I didn't think it could be salvaged. I'm glad I was wrong!

Re: Flattening warped FD [message #40521 is a reply to message #40519 ] Tue, 20 December 2011 04:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
Rather dramatic result! Your bit of ingenuity certainly went a long way in solving what seemed on the surface to totally require a reprint.

Previous Topic:jewelry as ornamental structure
Next Topic:Helping Hand

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.