Home » Support » 3D Design » Displacement maps?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Displacement maps? [message #40459] Mon, 19 December 2011 06:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sand3  is currently offline Sand3
Go to all my models
So, I think I read that 3D models should be submitted in .CAR format, but I've not really worked much with Carrara so I don't know exactly its capabilities and such. I get the impression that it's more than just meshes? I usually work with Poser, and so that's all based around Wavefront .OBJ format.

Anyway, my question is whether displacement maps can be used on my meshes and incorporated into the 3D printing, or whether I can only print actual geometry?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 December 2011 06:07 UTC]

Re: Displacement maps? [message #40466 is a reply to message #40459 ] Mon, 19 December 2011 10:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Hi!

File formats supported are:
Quote:

You can upload STL, VRML2/97 (.wrl), COLLADA (.dae), X3D and OBJ files to Shapeways. Many modeling applications support these file formats. If you need to convert to them we recommend Accutrans or Meshlab.

(from http://www.shapeways.com/support/faq )

Regarding displacement maps these are not supported and should be baked into your mesh.
So you can only print actual geometry.

Cheers!

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Displacement maps? [message #40478 is a reply to message #40459 ] Mon, 19 December 2011 17:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Sand3  is currently offline Sand3
Go to all my models
Oh, right DAE, pfff, I keep mixing up Collada and Carrara in my head. Okay, thanks!

Previous Topic:Thickness for figurine shell
Next Topic:How to make solid shells