Home » Community » General Discussion » Paint & Adhesive
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Paint & Adhesive [message #40077] Sat, 10 December 2011 19:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar QRM  is currently offline QRM
Go to all my models
My first post!

Does anyone out there have experience of using paint and adhesive on their models? (I think I will mainly be using White Strong Flexible polished).

My project(s) require my small* 3D printed parts to be fixed to a range of materials including plastic, wood and brass, and are then overpainted.

*typically less than 5mm x 5mm x 8mm

What type of paints work, or don't?

What type of adhesives work, or don't?

If anyone has had a similar requirement, knowing what was succesful would be extremely useful.

Thank you.........

Modelling the Great Central Railway & Metropolitan Railway
Re: Paint & Adhesive [message #40123 is a reply to message #40077 ] Mon, 12 December 2011 07:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
I haven't attached any of my prints to wood but i've done plastics and metal many times. I generally print in WSF without polishing. I do a lot of miniature wargaming bits that are about the sizes your are describing.
The material is a soaks up paint quite well so I generally start by dipping it in Future Floor polish (acrylic floor polish by S.C. johnson). For glue I use traditional CA glue, essentially fancy super glue. As with all glues you have to hold it for a few seconds before it bonds. Because WSF soaks up stuff I seal it before I glue but thats a personal choice not really a requirement.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2011 07:22 UTC]

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
Re: Paint & Adhesive [message #40294 is a reply to message #40123 ] Thu, 15 December 2011 12:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar QRM  is currently offline QRM
Go to all my models
Thank you.

I imagined it would be something like that. I posted the question as i have not received my first order yet, so could not experiment myself

David

Modelling the Great Central Railway & Metropolitan Railway

Previous Topic:Gold not available on some models?
Next Topic:solidworks gift guide

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.