Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Private sale link does not work
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Private sale link does not work [message #40060] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I created a model and set it as "Private, but available for sale using your private link". I then copied the Permalink underneath the model photo. Sent the link to the customer and was told the link did not work. Sure enough, tested it myself by logging out and it didn't work. Copying the full URL did not work either.

I have now had to change the setting to "Public and available for sale" to get the link to work.

This is not good since I want to leave the customer with a private link which she can come back to later and re-order, and I definitely don't want "the public" seeing this model for sale since it will mean nothing to them.

Shapeways, please address this.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40061 is a reply to message #40060 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Did you really use the full URL ?

Like...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/123456/ModelName.html?key=64367ad45b21c654cf1a65475274cfbf

I ask because that works fine for me... Neutral
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40062 is a reply to message #40061 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well, I copied the entire URL so it should have been.

Now, when you tested yours did you log out first? In the past I'm pretty sure I checked this but I was logged in at the time.

Glenn

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40063 is a reply to message #40062 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've just re-tested this on another model and, as I suspected above, IF you are LOGGED IN the links work fine. LOG OUT and try them. Neither the Permalink nor the full URL works for me if the model is set to "Private but available for sale".

Glenn

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40064 is a reply to message #40062 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Sat, 10 December 2011 16:27

Now, when you tested yours did you log out first?

It was easier to open the link in an other browser. ^^
But I checked it again... I logged out, deleted cookies & cache (just to be sure)... the permalink doesn't work, but the full URL does.

Does this link...
http://www.shapeways.com/model/324472/pwsf_test_set.html?key =f9c4c5c1bf76edf269f49d7833fdf556
...work for you ?

Did you switch the edit mode to "off" before you copied the URL ?
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40066 is a reply to message #40064 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, the link did work - was that Private but for sale? - and yes, I did switch off editing.

Very strange. I will be testing again from home later.

Glenn

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2011 17:05 UTC]

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40080 is a reply to message #40066 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 19:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, that's "private, but available for sale using your private link".

And as I can see in my Inbox, the full URL from an other private-but-buyable model from a current project works for the client.

Sorry, the idea about the edit mode was my last straw. Sad
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40081 is a reply to message #40060 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
[deleted]

Was doing more tests and getting thoroughly confused between URLs when logged in and not.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2011 20:22 UTC]

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40082 is a reply to message #40081 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Think I got it sort of solved. Sometimes when I logged in after having entered the URL the page would open up without the FULL URL being in the address bar. I suppose I might have been copying this at some point.

However, the Permalink does NOT work, no matter what I do.

Glenn

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2011 20:32 UTC]

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40086 is a reply to message #40082 ] Sun, 11 December 2011 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Sat, 10 December 2011 20:15

However, the Permalink does NOT work, no matter what I do.

Conceptual, that seems correct to me.

Let's say we have a model which was public and buyable for some time.
Let's say someone saved the permalink and/or the URL during this period.
Then, one day, the designer decides to make the model private, but still buyable (for whatever reason^^).
The permalink (and the "standard full URL" (www.shapeways.com/model/ModelNumber/ModelName) ) will stop working, but the designer will still be able to share the private link (i.e. the full URL, including the "key-part").
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #40093 is a reply to message #40086 ] Sun, 11 December 2011 05:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hhm, yes, that logically would make sense. But it begs the question, why bother having the permalink at all if it doesn't work?

Glenn

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #45210 is a reply to message #40093 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 07:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
Private link doesn't work for me either. I tried it with the key part.
I set my model to private for sale.
Has anyone actually gotten this to work?
Thanks
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #45236 is a reply to message #45210 ] Sat, 10 March 2012 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It looks like private links have been broken somehow in yesterday's update, as they worked the other day - I've left a notification about this issue in the right place.

Paul
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #45388 is a reply to message #45236 ] Tue, 13 March 2012 02:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A customer told me today that he was able to see the private link, but was unable to add the item to his cart. I had to change it to public to allow him to add it.
Re: Private sale link does not work [message #45429 is a reply to message #40060 ] Tue, 13 March 2012 18:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Exactly the problem I just had. Thankfully I saw your post first and have hopefully quickly corrected the problem.

Glenn

Re: Private sale link does not work [message #45736 is a reply to message #45429 ] Tue, 20 March 2012 13:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Seems to work now.

Previous Topic:Degree symbol error in product title
Next Topic:Buttons Missing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.