Home » Support » 3D Printing » Color model problems (Blender)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Color model problems (Blender) [message #39950] Thu, 08 December 2011 00:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar jas870  is currently offline jas870
Go to all my models
I'm working on my most complex model to date -- a certain speedy hedgehog for my brother as a gift -- and am having trouble getting the colors to show up properly once uploaded to Shapeways. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've searched these forums and the web at large with no luck so far. I've found these forums to be invaluable in general (thanks!) and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I'm working in Blender 2.60a, and all of the coloring is applied as a material to each component (no UV maps). Here's what my model should look like:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2e4ar5t.jpg

First I tried exporting to .x3d, right from Blender. That worked okay for me on a test file earlier. When I uploaded to Shapeways, though, only a few of the colors showed up:

http://i44.tinypic.com/11cdtnd.jpg[

You can't see it in the image, but the gold buckle on his left shoe is also colored. The lack of consistency seems strange -- there's only one material for each color, so it can't be that I set some materials up correctly and not others. And the legs and shoes are exact mirrors of each other (duplicated objects mirrored, not mirror modifier), so it would seem that if one worked the other should too.

I checked all my normals and they're as they should be.

Next I tried opening the .blend file in Blender 2.49b, since that allows VRML97 exports. I did so, and got the same results with that upload to Shapeways.

Then, I tried opening the x3d export in MeshLab (no color, although some surfaces were reflective and some not, strangely). Tried the VRML97 export in MeshLab ... only some colors showed up, and not the same ones!

http://i39.tinypic.com/1ijxp4.jpg

Next I tried exporting an OBJ from Blender, and then opening that in MeshLab. Some colors showed up, but all in the wrong places. I exported a VRML97 from MeshLab, uploaded to Shapeways and the colors stuck (wrong colors, but colors nevertheless):

http://i41.tinypic.com/34gluyx.jpg

So, now I'm thoroughly confused, and can't think of anything else to try. Any suggestions would be oh-so-very appreciated.

Oh, one other thing I should add: Since I'm new to 3D modeling, (or that's my excuse, at least) I'm creating each piece of the model separately, and then overlapping those pieces. For instance, the head is a sphere with the eye sockets hollowed out, then the white "eyeball" is another sphere, and each spike is a distorted sphere. I know to make sure each mesh is watertight, and don't have any odd pieces sticking out here or there, but it isn't one solid mesh, which I know is the most elegant way to do things. Still, my other models have used the same technique, and it's worked fine thus far. Plus, the fact that some colors show up and not others makes me think it's not the modeling method.

Thanks!
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39952 is a reply to message #39950 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 02:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Tried another test, this one using the same materials from the original model, but on simple, overlapping spheres. Exported straight from Blender to .x3d and it worked fine:

http://i43.tinypic.com/xgi447.jpg

So ... that seems to suggest something is wrong with my model itself, but perhaps not specifically that there are overlapping elements? Maybe the model is just too complex? It's just north of 500,000 faces, which is still half of Shapeways' limit ...
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39977 is a reply to message #39952 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Is it rude of me to be having this conversation with myself? Wink

Just wanted to report, in case anyone else is having similar difficulties, that I was able to get all the colors to stick with an .x3d export from Blender simply by joining all the surfaces before exporting. I still need to make some tweaks and final checks later in the day, and I'll post back when I can fully confirm everything is working right.

In the meantime, much less panicked Very Happy
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39978 is a reply to message #39950 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 19:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Glad you got it straight. There are no set rules for posting in any forum except modeler for hire. Next time, you could edit your original post though.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39979 is a reply to message #39978 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
A very good point ... I'll be sure to do that in the future. Thanks!
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39981 is a reply to message #39979 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 23:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One thing I discovered recently.. make sure that the colors you use have no Transparency to them.. in the VRML you should be able to see whether the Transparency is 0.0 or not

If it has even some very tiny amount like
Transparency 0.000001

Then the Shapeways renderer has trouble with it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #39982 is a reply to message #39981 ] Thu, 08 December 2011 23:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the tip, Stony ... much appreciated Smile

For anyone with a similar problem reading this thread, it did turn out that joining (CTRL-J) the meshes in blender did the trick. I love it when a solution only involves pressing two keys!
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41855 is a reply to message #39950 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 11:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar skgoa  is currently offline skgoa
Go to all my models
I have a stupid question relatied to this: how do I get the texture map out of Blender? Because when I try exporting to x3d and uploading to Shapeways, I get an eMail informing me if the texture missing.
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41871 is a reply to message #39950 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 13:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you make the image in blender, you have to switch to UV/image editor, then under the image menu there is save and save as. Then when uploading to shapeways you have to have your x3d and your image zipped together, and upload that zip file.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41877 is a reply to message #39950 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That only gives me a wireframe of my modell projected onto 2D. I somehow managed to find the textures of the constituent meshes in the .blend file and could export one of them. Can I just stick all of them into the .zip? They are quite large, can I simply save them ias e.g. 512x512 without messing up the mapping?
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41878 is a reply to message #39950 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 16:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm going to let someone better at Blender answer that for sure, but I think you have to bake the textures? making it one texture map.

Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41885 is a reply to message #39950 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well, thanks anyways. Very Happy
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #41889 is a reply to message #41885 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 19:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
i haven't progressed far enough in my work with blender to start using texture maps, so i'm afraid i'm no help. good luck!
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #42291 is a reply to message #39950 ] Thu, 19 January 2012 23:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
OK, texture problem solved, but now I can't get all textures to show up in the render. Joining them didn't change anything.

edit: Actually... since part of one texture is being rendered, I suspect it's a problem in the renderer. I might just order a prototype right now. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 19 January 2012 23:45 UTC]

Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #43926 is a reply to message #39950 ] Mon, 13 February 2012 12:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 3dPrintingNoob  is currently offline 3dPrintingNoob
Go to all my models
skgoa,

I'm having the same texture problem you described. None of my textures appear in the shapeways render box. The only material color I have on my model does show, however.

Did your prototype turn out with all you texture colors?
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #43973 is a reply to message #43926 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 00:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One question.. do any of these textures have an transparency value to them? You must have a value of
transparency  0.0

or the renderer does funky stuff.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #44000 is a reply to message #43973 ] Tue, 14 February 2012 11:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the reply StonySmith.

Transparency is set to 0.0 for all textures. I've attached the x3d file for one of the models I'm having problems with.

I posted here with more detail on my problem: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=8252&a mp;start=0&

• Attachment: connor.x3d
    (Size: 1.31MB, Downloaded 31 time(s))

Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #44173 is a reply to message #39950 ] Sun, 19 February 2012 10:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
As a relative Blender noob alI can do is pass along what worked for myself.

First thing is to use the newest version of blender(i'm using 2.61)
I read in a few places that the .x3d format needs its texture files to be named in a 8.3 format, ie: keep your file name to 8 characters or less. I'm not sure if this applies to Shapeways but I kept my texture names short.
I could not get a material alone to display in the shapeways renderer. That was my major issue, I had to set my image to a uv mapped texture.
If you go into the UV editor, and go into edit mode you should see your uv mesh with an image under it.

fwiw

bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #44187 is a reply to message #44173 ] Sun, 19 February 2012 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
bvr,

Thanks for the response.

I think my problem does have something do with texture file names as you've stated. I'm not sure what exactly the issue is though. I've had models show textures with texture file names over 8 characters. And I've had other models that didn't. So, my next step will be to research the 8.3 format you discussed. I appreciate your feedback! I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #46276 is a reply to message #39981 ] Sun, 01 April 2012 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop

Thanks for this tip! I was getting some really weird upload problems and this solved them!

stonysmith wrote on Thu, 08 December 2011 23:19

One thing I discovered recently.. make sure that the colors you use have no Transparency to them.. in the VRML you should be able to see whether the Transparency is 0.0 or not

If it has even some very tiny amount like
Transparency 0.000001

Then the Shapeways renderer has trouble with it.

Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #46304 is a reply to message #39981 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 00:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Robotprint22  is currently offline Robotprint22
Go to all my models
Hello I am new at this 3d printing thing I have my first upload being a robot that is coloured and I am having difficulty having the colour stick to the model when I upload it like others, but all the other methods of fixing that were mentioned here, have not worked for me.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas, and the Program I am using is Blender (if it is not obvious enough on a Blender thread)
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #46305 is a reply to message #46304 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 04:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
Some questions:
What sort of file are you uploading? (x3d?)
When you say you are having problems getting the color to 'stick' do you mean the model uploads, and in the preview there is no color, or the colors appear wrong, or only some of the colors appear?

a picture of what you are running into might help.
Re: Color model problems (Blender) [message #46336 is a reply to message #46305 ] Mon, 02 April 2012 21:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Robotprint22  is currently offline Robotprint22
Go to all my models
I am using .x3d format but i have it zipped together with my texture files that are in png format

when I say stick I mean they are being projected in the render wrong (here are some pictures)

index.php?t=getfile&id=15815&private=0
this is in blender in material mode

index.php?t=getfile&id=15814&private=0
this is a blender render

index.php?t=getfile&id=15813&private=0
This is the shapeways render

hope this can help you help me

oh and one more thing I use a mac (if that makes a difference)

thanks
Robotprint22

[Updated on: Wed, 04 April 2012 00:30 UTC]

Previous Topic:Files from Rhino for color printing
Next Topic:WSF Strength Question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.