Home » Community » It arrived! » Pendant Cage
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pendant Cage [message #39025] Tue, 22 November 2011 03:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
The third iteration of my Pendant Cage arrived today. The first two versions didn't have enough wiggle room between the two halves to fit together without extensive grinding, but now the two halves fit together perfectly. I designed it for someone who wanted to carry a small meteorite fragment around their neck, and it will hold any small cylindrical object approximately 22mm long and 12mm in diameter.

The two halves are held together by the necklace cord. It is designed for a 1mm leather cord, but any cord under 1mm will work. The version on the left in the picture below is antique bronze polished, the one on the right is plain stainless steel.

index.php?t=getfile&id=12213&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2011 03:25 UTC]

Re: Pendant Cage [message #39027 is a reply to message #39025 ] Tue, 22 November 2011 04:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
This is super cool and enticing. It'd be great to see some added photos of it hanging on a neck or with an item inside. :)
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39091 is a reply to message #39027 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 04:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Glad you like it! Here is a picture of it on a friend and containing an agate bead.

index.php?t=getfile&id=12256&private=0

Re: Pendant Cage [message #39096 is a reply to message #39025 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 06:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GeoBling  is currently offline GeoBling
Go to my shop
This looks very cool! Good job on figuring out the clearance for the fit. Now I just need to get a meteorite fragment Smile

I have a question: Isn't the minimal feature size for stainless steel 3mm? The thickness of the cage surely is less than 3mm?
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39103 is a reply to message #39096 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 09:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You can go under 3mm with stainless with small objects. The under-3mm wall thickness rules are at http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel-under- 3-mm
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39207 is a reply to message #39103 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 09:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Very cool design, and a great solution using the leather to hold it together.

I have a bunch of cage designs that use 2 parts, and I have been working on different ways to hold them together that doesn't require another piece of metal for the hinge. Not an easy task.

Bravo!

Lincoln
www.Craftosterone.com

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39212 is a reply to message #39025 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 11:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SheilaMunro  is currently offline SheilaMunro
Go to my shop
Love the mesh-detailing, very nice. Smile
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39744 is a reply to message #39212 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 15:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
I agree with Lincoln, what a great way to get around the "no moving parts issue". Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Pendant Cage [message #39879 is a reply to message #39103 ] Tue, 06 December 2011 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ceramicwombat wrote on Wed, 23 November 2011 09:53

You can go under 3mm with stainless with small objects. The under-3mm wall thickness rules are at http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel-under- 3-mm

Hhmm, you may not be able to do that when Shapeways introduces their automatic thin-wall detecting software in which case it will be kicked out as unprintable...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39895 is a reply to message #39879 ] Wed, 07 December 2011 00:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Quote:

Hhmm, you may not be able to do that when Shapeways introduces their automatic thin-wall detecting software in which case it will be kicked out as unprintable...

Yep, the impending thin-wall detecting software is causing me a bit of anxiety.
Re: Pendant Cage [message #39937 is a reply to message #39895 ] Wed, 07 December 2011 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Glenn,

I mentioned in your previous thread that we're already considering the dynamics of this for the community and are going to proceed carefully. Providing a grace period for you to change you designs, or creating the occasional permanent exceptions are both likely.

I'm not suggesting it doesn't make sense to be vigilant, but it seems you're getting a little upset about this thing that doesn't even exist yet.

Since we want to execute on it in a way that is good for both Shapeways and the community, why not dream up a few suggestions and put them in Uservoice?

.....Ok, back to Chuck's regularly programmed thread.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Pendant Cage [message #39940 is a reply to message #39937 ] Wed, 07 December 2011 20:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ana wrote on Wed, 07 December 2011 18:49

...I'm not suggesting it doesn't make sense to be vigilant, but it seems you're getting a little upset about this thing that doesn't even exist yet.

No, I'm not upset. Just peeved that I lost sales because printable designs suddenly became unprintable.... And taking that a step further I projected when the afore-mentioned new thin-wall detecting software kicks in Shapeways is suddenly going to be kicking back designs that were previously printable. Having a grace period to change designs is all well and good but if we don't KNOW those designs will fail how will we know to re-design them?

I wouldn't have known on my latest two rejections, for example.

Shapeways has to do what it has to do in order to become a better company and I don't begrudge them that at all. I just foresee problems unless, for example, all pre-existing designs are allowed to stand as is.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Bronze Dragon Claw Bracelet
Next Topic:Ceramics - Bubble Men

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.