Home » Community » It arrived! » USA Necklace Pendant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
USA Necklace Pendant [message #39640] Thu, 01 December 2011 03:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar GeoBling  is currently offline GeoBling
Go to my shop
We've been working for the past few weeks to turn geographical data into 3D models. Today the first model finally arrived:

http://printablegeography.com/photos/usa_stainless_steel_on_map.jpg

http://printablegeography.com/photos/usa_stainless_steel_necklace.jpg

http://printablegeography.com/photos/usa_stainless_steel_rear.jpg

http://printablegeography.com/photos/usa_stainless_steel_model.jpg

We started with an elevation data set recorded by NASA satellites and processed them into pendants to wear with a necklace (or any other creative use you can come up with). This model is a stainless steel print of the (48 contiguous United States). We have these for all countries in the world in variants for silver and stainless steel (silver is thinner and lighter than stainless steel due to material specifications).

Our shop (link) currently only has the silver options for sale. We are making some minimal tweaks to shave off some cost for the stainless steel versions and will upload those next week. We also put together a simple website to make it easier to find the model of your country.

If anybody decides to buy one of these, we'd really appreciate if you sent us a photo over to use in the shop! Our wallets are a little too thin for ordering all countries in silver Sad

We have plenty more ideas for printable geography: country shaped ear rings, belt buckles, a terrain map puzzle with all the countries of the world, etc. If there is any geographical item you'd like to have (country, state, region, certain product) let us know and we'll see what we can do.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2011 20:05 UTC]

Re: USA Necklace Pendant [message #39661 is a reply to message #39640 ] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Just an idea, but what about individual states?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: USA Necklace Pendant [message #39663 is a reply to message #39640 ] Thu, 01 December 2011 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ancientbuzzard  is currently offline ancientbuzzard
Go to all my models
Great idea!

Not a pendant wearer myself, but I vaguely remember being told that some people prefer a top loop to a back loop. Something to do with how they hang? Perhaps others on the forum who do jewellery designing (and aren't relying on a patchy memory!) can advise. If so, then two options would be fairly simple to sort out?

Have you thought of using data from a bit further away?

How about the NASA radar recorded terrain of Mars, or Lunar craters?

Andrew
Re: USA Necklace Pendant [message #39807 is a reply to message #39663 ] Sun, 04 December 2011 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GeoBling  is currently offline GeoBling
Go to my shop
Thanks for the great ideas!

@ancientbuzzard
You are right, some people prefer the hook in other places or hooks of other shapes. We decided to upload this variant, but we'd happily make a customized version for anybody who contacts us. The minimum feature size of 3mm on stainless steel reduces the options quite drastically...

Lunar and Martian landscapes are possible, but getting exact data about country borders from moon and Mars is difficult! Jokes aside, the data exists and I have seen people create objects from it. Not sure where that was, maybe Thingiverse?

@Youknowwho4eva
Yep, we are planning to do individual states. Colorado and Wyoming will be the easiest to make Smile
Re: USA Necklace Pendant [message #39878 is a reply to message #39640 ] Tue, 06 December 2011 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm not really sure how fast or complex your method is but would it not be simpler to use a silhouette of the desired geography? I know you're also getting the terrain height included but how accurate is it at that scale anyway?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: USA Necklace Pendant [message #40072 is a reply to message #39878 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 18:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bluelinegecko  is currently offline bluelinegecko
Go to my shop
I like this idea and how it turned out a lot!

For the stainless versions, have you considered cutting a channel into the back of the pendant where the eyelet goes? You can probably inset the eyelet about 1.5mm or so doing that on your thicker models to reduce the volume/cost and reduce how much the eyelet sticks out the back.

Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2011 18:13 UTC]

Previous Topic:1/300 tabletop terrain stuff
Next Topic:Voronaffe

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.