Home » Support » 3D Design » Uploaded .x3d file ignored
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #38636] Tue, 15 November 2011 21:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar wstomv  is currently offline wstomv
Go to my shop
I uploaded a new model in a .x3d file. It has color, and looks good in MeshLab. I have successfully uploaded .x3d files before. The file is generated by Mathematica.

After the upload, I get the usual message (about receiving feedback by email).

However, I don't get a message and nothing happens (for two days).

I would expect that, if the file is corrupted or otherwise not processable by Shapeways, they send me an email with some explanation.

I did succeed in uploading the .stl version without color.

Any suggestions?
Re: Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #38638 is a reply to message #38636 ] Tue, 15 November 2011 21:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Hmmm may be a reply bug. I'll pass the word on to see what's going on.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #38643 is a reply to message #38638 ] Tue, 15 November 2011 22:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just in case it will help, here is an example .x3d file that does not upload (smaller than the one that I wanted to upload).

It was generated by Mathematica (frame.x3d), then scaled by MeshLab and saved again as frame2.x3d.

By the way, Netfabb (for Mac) reads beyond the end of the file and exits. However, I see no problem with the file. The xml looks good.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Attachment: frame.x3d
    (Size: 1.49KB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

• Attachment: frame2.x3d
    (Size: 2.15KB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

Re: Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #38946 is a reply to message #38636 ] Mon, 21 November 2011 08:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A solution to get color models from Mathematica that upload to Shapeways with color:

1. Export from Mathematica into X3D: Export["model.x3d", graphics]
  2. Import the generated X3D file into MeshLab
  3. Export from MeshLab into VRML 2: Export Mesh As... > Format: VRML File Format (*.wrl)
  4. Upload the model.wrl to Shapeways; note that you need to enter the scale (millimeters, inches, meters)

Re: Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #38970 is a reply to message #38636 ] Mon, 21 November 2011 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Glad you got it figured out!

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Uploaded .x3d file ignored [message #39792 is a reply to message #38970 ] Sat, 03 December 2011 23:52 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Well, I don't agree here.

I did not figure out why Shapeways is not able to process X3D files, that the tools that I use indicate to be valid X3D files.

I did figure out a workaround, by converting into another file type.

This is inconvenient and unsatisfactory.

Previous Topic:How to round curved cylinder edges?
Next Topic:Model won't print.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.